Monday, May 24, 2010

Peace in the Midst of the Storm
By Carolyn Hulliberger

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you….Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
John 14:27

Thursday, November 1, 1990. I expected a quiet weekend as many of my friends were traveling with the university choir. However, the van carrying 11 members of that choir crashed on I-65 near Lafayette, Indiana. Alex…gregarious, witty, and newly engaged…was killed instantly. Cindy…lover of children, future teacher, part-time radio broadcaster…died of her injuries later that day. Andrea…compassionate, smart, a social work major…her family had to choose to remove life support a couple of days later. All college seniors, all making plans for their lives and careers, all lovers of Jesus, all tragically ripped from this life.

At the end of Andrea’s funeral, an audiotape of her singing was played. The words were prophetic in light of all that had happened:

Peace in the Midst of the Storm
When the world that I've been living in collapses at my feet,

And when my life is all tattered and torn;
Though I'm wind-swept, I’ve been battered, I’m gonna cling unto His cross.
I’ll find peace in the midst of the storm. (Is that alright?)

There is peace in the midst of the storm-tossed life.

There is an Anchor, there is a rock to build my faith upon.
Jesus Christ is my vessel so I fear no alarm.
He gives me peace in the midst of the storm.

In my twenty-four short hours, years of living are brought to moments.

When life's final picture is taking form.
In the dark-room of my suffering,
I see a light that’s coming and it’s shining through. (You know what)
He gives me peace in the midst of the storm.

Now when my spirit has been broken 'til it's masked by misery,

When the doctor shakes his head and look forlorn, (You know what?)
Jesus comes to make my bedside a cathedral of faith and love.
He’ll give you peace in the midst of the storm.

There is peace in the midst of the storm-tossed life

There is an Anchor, there’s a rock to build my faith upon. (Hallelujah, Hallelujah)
Jesus Christ is my vessel so I fear no alarm.
Won’t God give you peace in the midst of the storm?
He’ll give you peace in the midst of the storm. (1)

Isn’t that a beautiful picture? Jesus Christ as our vessel…our boat that will carry us through life’s storms. He is the One who calmed the waves with His voice, the only One who can provide us peace.

GOING DEEPER:
1. In the middle of your storm, do you worry about the waves or trust in the One who commands the wind?

FURTHER READING:
Matthew 14:22-32; Mark 8:23-27; Psalm 46:1-3

(1) “Peace in the Midst of the Storm”, performed by Shirley Caesar, published by Light Records

Along with caring for her husband, two children and the dog, Carolyn is an Office Representative for State Farm Insurance, serves as a small group leader for Wednesday p.m. Bible study, and is the treasurer for Women’s Ministries.