Friday, August 27, 2010

Come to the Porch!
By Susan Klein

“My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. Where can I go and meet with God?”
Psalm 42:2

When making the decision to purchase our house six months ago, one of the features that really sold us was the three-season porch. The house we were living in at the time was on a bus line, near an airport, a fire station and a police station. “Quiet” was not in my vocabulary there! As I stood in the middle of the porch, gazing wistfully out at the snow-covered trees dotted with the bright reds and blues of cardinals and blue jays, my toes began to tingle as I envisioned myself sipping my morning coffee and having quiet moments with my God in this cozy haven.

Once moved in, the thaw of spring came rather quickly. Anticipation mounted as I started to place the furniture on the porch! Then, it finally arrived...my first blissful morning in this peaceful sanctuary! I rejoiced with my God at the beauty of His creation outside my windows! I thanked Him for His provision of such a marvelous gift. I spent many meaningful moments in conversation with him that morning. I felt as if I’d been blessed with a little glimpse of heaven!

With the busy-ness of the move and the end of ministry and school year approaching, I was up and running most mornings and didn’t get out to the porch much. But when I did take the time, God was always thrilled to meet me! I knew that once summer arrived, things would settle down. But summer brought its own flurry of activities and events to prepare for. One morning, awakened by the birds outside my window at an insanely early hour, I felt as if God was whispering into my ear, “Come! Come to the porch! Meet me there!” Like a child on Christmas morning, I tip-toed down the stairs in anticipation and hurried to the porch. The sun had not quite peeked over the horizon as birds did their pre-dawn chirping and swooping about. I snuggled into the sofa, and into the outstretched arms of my waiting Father. Oh, how I’d missed Him! And I knew He missed me too. Nothing else seemed to matter at that moment. Somehow, I just knew all would be well in this day.

Do you have a quiet place you meet with God? Is He calling you to come? Go quickly! Run like a child into His big, strong, waiting arms and savor His embrace!

GOING DEEPER:
1. If you don’t currently have a “porch” where you meet with God, pick a spot that you enjoy to set up as your haven. Try to make it your “special place,” so that you’ll look forward to going there each day.

FURTHER READING:
Isaiah 55:6, Matthew 11:28

Susan enjoys being the mother of two great children, and loves serving in women’s ministry as Oakwood’s Tuesday Morning Bible Study Coordinator and teacher.