Monday, March 14, 2011

In This Moment
By Lisa Boyer

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy in peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
Romans 15:13

The God of the universe lives inside of me in the person of the Holy Spirit, but what difference does that reality make in my life, right now, in this moment?

To help understand what my “right now, in this moment” looks like, here’s a summary of a recent week of mine: Thursday, I got a call that my mom was going to the emergency room with blurred vision, headache, dizziness and overall “don’t feel good” symptoms. Friday, we weren’t sure if she was going to survive the weekend. Saturday, I got to see the MRI of her brain and all the aneurisms just waiting for her blood pressure to rise. Monday, I was told she didn’t recognize my niece. Tuesday, she was doing SO MUCH better but she’d begun hallucinating. Wednesday, my doctor called with the results of my recent blood tests…and they weren’t what I was expecting.

So, back to the question: What difference does He make in my life, right now, in this moment, in these circumstances?

Well, during all this uncertainty pertaining to my mom’s situation and even my own, I have been filled with a peace from so deep inside of me that it can be explained by nothing but Him. And I have had Bible verses running through my mind that clearly reassured me of Who is in control.

Normally when trouble strikes, I use my “phone a friend” lifeline. But when I got off the phone with my doctor, the Friend I wanted to talk to more than anyone else wouldn’t require the use of a phone… I only wanted to talk to God. I knew that He is the one who knows what the future holds and would understand my heart better than anyone. He is my Comforter.

I know I have a long way to go in understanding the complete difference He makes in my life, but in this moment, I am just thankful - - thankful that the God of the universe does live inside of me. Because of Him, I did not walk alone for one second during those seven days and I know that I won’t walk alone through anything that lies ahead.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Because you’re a believer, the God of the universe lives inside of you; what difference will that make in your life today?
2. Have the circumstances of life left you feeling hopeless? Right now, will you have a heart-to-heart talk with your heavenly Father and let Him fill you with hope as you trust in Him?

FURTHER READING:
John 14:26, 27; John 16:7; Ephesians 3:20, 21

Lisa has been married to Ted for 18 years and they have two teenage sons. She is a co-leader for a Junior High girls’ small group at Oakwood Church.