Thursday, July 21, 2011

LV 2 4GV
By Kari Lyles

“Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”
Colossians 3:13
It was a typical Monday morning. My husband was off to work. My oldest daughter had just gotten on the bus. My youngest was enjoying her toast with all her favorite toppings and I couldn’t wait to start my pity party. As I slowly walked to the sink to wash some dishes, I stewed over the circumstances that had me feeling angry, alone and misunderstood. Since a party of one is not as much fun, I decided to call a girlfriend hoping maybe she would want to join in. No luck. My wise and godly friend told me to allow the day to play out and not make any rash decisions on how I should handle my situation, but to pray about it and that we would pray together that evening.

As I drove to an appointment that afternoon, I came upon a car driving rather slowly in the right lane. A little annoyed that the car was in no way driving the speed limit, I took special notice of the license plate: “LV 2 4GV.” (“Live to forgive”)

I chuckled as I passed. “I get it,” I said out loud, rolling my eyes. I knew all too well this was not just coincidence that I passed this car, at this time, on this day, with this license plate.

That evening I picked up my Bible and felt led to read Colossians 3. And there it was, “Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” When the phone rang a short time later, my prayer partner asked if I was ready to pray. I told her what had taken place that day. How I prayed earlier and was still feeling hurt. How I had been convicted by a license plate and how God clearly spoke to me through His Word. While we prayed, I praised God for His faithfulness in giving me peace and freedom from my anger and especially for His forgiveness to me.

Somewhere in Lake Country, the driver of a gray Lincoln Town Car should be thanked as well.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Have you been holding a pity party for yourself because of hurt, anger or feeling misunderstood? Allow the Lord to work in your heart so you can extend forgiveness and grace because of His forgiveness given to you.

FURTHER READING:
Colossians 3


Kari is a wife and mother to two girls ages 9 and 5. She works as a regional sales manager at MAX-R in Sussex and is involved in Oakwood’s drama ministry.