Monday, September 23, 2013

Face-to-Face
By Lisa Boyer

“But who can discern their own errors? Forgive my hidden faults. Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then I will be blameless, innocent of great transgression”

I’ve been changed by a face-to-face encounter, not with my mortality, but with my sin. I’ve been a Christian for almost forever, and sometimes (or usually), I act like I think I no longer have a tendency to sin. This is not about one of those times. This is about God allowing me to come face-to-face with my own sinfulness.

I was having a pretty good day, until I became overwhelmed with anger. It was really stupid: Someone showed up somewhere I didn’t want them to be and I got angry. More than just angry, anger raged inside of me so intensely that I was shocked by it. But in spite of the shock, I didn’t even attempt to stop it. I was convinced that I was justified in my anger.

When I came to my senses, I saw that anger for what it was - - sin, pure sin. It was as though I was seeing how truly sinful I was for the very first time. I felt helpless. I felt like I had reached a whole new low. I was reminded of the verse that says “the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked” (Jeremiah 17:9, NIV). I was face-to-face with my own wickedness. In the midst of my sin, I chose to do nothing to stop it. I was desperately wicked and desperately in need of Jesus! Without Him, I am lost. I need His grace and His mercy. I need Him living out His life inside me… all the time!

I am not proud of my downfall moment, but I am thankful for the reminder that came with it. I am not, and never can be, righteous within myself. I am completely dependent on Christ and His work on the cross for righteousness. “…that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ - - the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith” (Philippians 3:7b-8).

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Today, will you take a moment to consider where your righteousness comes from and discuss it with your Savior?

FURTHER READING:

Lisa has been married to Ted for over 20 years and they have two teenage sons. Lisa administers Fresh Start’s Facebook and blog, and loves hanging out with and impacting teenage girls for Christ.