Monday, February 17, 2014

Let’s Not Talk About It
By Lisa Boyer

“But He gives us more grace”
James 4:6a (NIV)

I heard the phrase “breathing in Your grace, breathing out Your grace” on the radio and I was intrigued. I wondered what breathing out God’s grace would look like. Well, God may have been waiting for me to wonder that because the next day He started me on a journey of breathing out His grace.

In a two-and-a-half-hour period, I found myself interacting with the same person over and over again and each encounter left me feeling a sting. By the last encounter, I was just plain hurt. It was so unlike her and I had no idea what to do. But I did know whom  to ask. I went right to God, who knew exactly what was going on in both our hearts. I honestly expected a simple “just talk to her,” which is usually the appropriate response; instead, He clearly said, “Give grace.” I instantly knew what giving grace would look like in this relationship.

For the next month, I gave grace, but in the back of my mind I kept wondering about the day we would have to sit down and talk about it. Ok, I did a little more than wonder, I worried. I just couldn’t imagine how we could truly move forward without a get-it-out-in-the-open conversation. But for this specific situation, God had said to give grace, and that’s what I truly wanted to do.

Once again, I went to God; once again, He answered clearly, “Give more grace.” This time I didn’t know what He meant, but I trusted Him to tell me when I needed to know.  And He did. The next time I saw her, God spoke to my heart, I listened and I gave more grace as instructed. The act of giving more grace spoke more than words ever could. I was overwhelmed with emotion and knew we’d never need to talk about it.

Breathing out His grace has been a beautiful experience. Freely giving love and forgiveness and not asking for (or needing) an apology has given me a tiny glimpse into the love and joy God feels when we are reconciled to Him because of His grace toward us.

What an amazing gift grace is…both to receive and to give. 

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Have you been holding on to feelings of hurt and unforgiveness? Today, will you go to God and ask Him to help you give of the grace you have received from Him?
2.  Will you prayerfully consider how God wants you to share His message of reconciliation?

FURTHER READING:

Lisa has been married to Ted for over 20 years and they have two teenage sons. Lisa administers Fresh Start’s Facebook and blog, and loves hanging out with and impacting teenage girls for Christ.