Thursday, January 29, 2015

Is That With a “K”?
By Lisa Boyer

“But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive together with Christ even when we were dead in our transgressions - - it is by grace you have been saved.”

She had given me her last name, but I was sure I had heard wrong and gave her a chance to correct me, “Is that with a K?” I asked. “No,” she replied, “Sinner - - like in the Bible.”

Wow! I’d never met anyone with Sinner as their last name. I wondered... was her last name proudly displayed in her home in the same way as yours and mine are? Did her parents send out a Christmas letter and sign it The Sinners?  What was it like growing up as a Sinner? 

Truthfully, I know what it was like growing up as a sinner. I didn’t say it out loud as part of my official name, but sinner was definitely my title. While I regularly earned that title, I had a very difficult time owning up to it and claiming it. I had no problem professing my faith and stating that I was a Christian, but under no circumstances did I want anyone to know that I was a sinner, EVER.

Those days are over for me, and I now own up to my title. I am certainly not proud of it, but if I deny that I am a sinner, am I not in essence denying my need for a Savior? How can I truly share what God has done in my life without starting at the beginning, that I was a sinner?

I am so grateful that God doesn’t wait until we sinners clean up our lives before He’ll love us! Romans 5:8 says, “But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (NIV).

I recently saw a paraphrase of that verse which said “I loved you at your darkest.” At my darkest - - while I was actively in sin - - He loved me. Even now, in dark moments - - when I’m caught in sin - - He still loves me, forgives me and restores me to a right relationship with Him. 

My name is Lisa Boyer and I am a sinner, but because of God’s love for us, I have a Savior, Jesus Christ. 

GOING DEEPER:
1. Have you acknowledged that you are a sinner and found a Savior in Jesus, the One who died for you? (For more information, go to Following Jesus at Oakwoodnow.org.)

FURTHER READING:

Lisa has been married to Ted for over 20 years and they have two teenage sons. Lisa administers Fresh Start’s Facebook and blog and serves in Quest 56 on Sunday mornings at Oakwood.