Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Tell Me
By Lisa Boyer

“But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.”
Romans 5:8 (NLT)

While the beloved movie A Charlie Brown Christmas is well known for Linus’s explanation of the true meaning of Christmas, this year I found myself thinking instead about something that Charlie Brown had said. After checking his mailbox for Christmas cards, Charlie Brown stated, “Nobody sent me a Christmas card today. I almost wish there weren't a holiday season. I know nobody likes me. Why do we have to have a holiday season to emphasize it?” [1]

Hearing those words from Charlie Brown made my heart hurt for him. And then I wondered…are you feeling that way, too? Are you struggling through this Christmas season, longing for reassurance that you matter - - that you are loved? Charlie Brown didn’t necessarily find the perfect answer to his feelings of being “let down” by Christmas. However, I’ve recently heard a song that starts off sounding a bit like Charlie Brown, but ends with answers:  

I feel like I'm a nobody, wonder if I'll ever amount to much
Seems like no matter what I do, it's never gonna be good enough
Should I just give up?
Lord, I need to hear You speak

Tell me I am loved, tell me I am known
That You died for me, I am not alone
Tell me I'm Your child, the one Your heart beats for
I can find my strength knowing I am Yours
You've always known what my heart needs and You tell me

You wrote Your name upon my heart
You knew me long before my life began
You still have a plan and when I'm starting to forget
Jesus, You tell me who I am

You tell me I am loved, tell me I am known
And that You died for me, I am not alone
You tell me I'm Your child, the one Your heart beats for
I will find my strength knowing I am Yours
You've always known what my heart needs
And You tell me

Your voice has the power to heal the hurt inside
Your voice speaks the truth, brings my heart back to life

I am loved
Oh, I am known [2]

I, too, have struggled with the feeling of being “let down” by Christmas. But I can testify that His voice truly does have the power to heal the hurt inside. That He speaks truth and brings my heart back to life…I just have to listen to what He tells me.  

GOING DEEPER:
1.  If you’re struggling, will you spend time in prayer?  And then… will you take the time to listen for His answers?
2.  Take a few minutes to listen to “Tell Me” by Carrolton on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjEUyTBySq8.

FURTHER READING:

Lisa is married to Ted and they have two sons in college. Lisa serves as an event photographer at Oakwood and wherever else she is needed. 

[1] A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965) by Charles M. Schulz

[2] Tell Me by Carrolton, Copyright: 2015 Centricity Music