Thursday, April 13, 2017

Greater
By Lexi Cole Ellis

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.
1 John 4:4 (NIV)

A while ago, I had the opportunity to lead a workshop for our women’s retreat on the subject of comparisons. As I prepared, I dug into societal implications of comparing and how they hinder our oneness with God. What started as comparisons with physical appearance soon turned into a realization that we are drowning in comparisons in every facet and role. I just want to be prettier. I just want to be more like _________; she has it all together. I just want to be the best teacher. I wish I was a better ministry leader like _________. I long to be a better mom. ________ really is a better wife than I.   

Whether appearance or performance, these constant, detrimental comparisons often mean we are comparing ourselves to an unknown, unattainable ideal. We don’t know what “better” looks or feels like; we just know it’s not us. This results in never really accomplishing our standard of perfection.

As I struggle with rejecting self-deprecating, life-sucking comparisons in my own life, I’ve come to appreciate the comparisons in life that are  life-giving. There’s incredible hope, peace and a release of guilt that comes with surrendering our thoughts of unhealthy comparisons over to the God who knows and is greater.

Chris Tomlin’s song, “Our God,” is filled with comparisons words…the good kind. He identifies God as greater, stronger and higher than any other. Recently, as I listened to this song on the radio, singing along with the familiar chorus, I realized that it felt incomplete. For me, I felt God speaking to me, adding to the comparisons. I grabbed my phone and started using the speaking function as I spoke what His Spirit was saying:

Our God is greater… {than my circumstance.}
Our God is stronger… {than my fear.}
God, you are higher than any other…{insecurities I have.}
Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power, Our God! Our God! [1]

The single best and healthiest comparison is that God is bigger and stronger. As we go through storms and struggles, may we cling to the truth that He is higher than all…and that praising Him means working through and rejecting the unhealthy comparisons we mentally entertain. May we be children of God who actively pursue His healthy comparisons.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Spend time with the Lord. How is His Spirit adding onto the lyrics for you today?  Fill in the blanks: “Our God is greater than ________.”
2. Take time to listen to the song, “Our God” today. (Click HERE to listen to it.)

FURTHER READING:

Lexi and her husband, Andrew, have an adorable dog named Calvin. Lexi teaches sixth grade Reading and Writing. She serves with Children’s Ministries and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.