Monday, July 3, 2017

“Don't You Dare”
By Stephanie LaCasse

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Romans 6:23 (NIV)

I was in the kitchen when I saw my two-year-old stand on a stool and reach for the thermostat that I had already told him not to touch. I remember the words coming out of my mouth as if it were five minutes ago, “Don’t you dare…” He smiled and didn’t touch it. His hand was up, but he refrained. I think it helped that he knew if he chose to touch it, he would have to go to a time-out. He knew exactly what he was doing, and it was evident by the smile on his face.

The story of Adam and Eve came to mind. They knew from which tree in the garden they were not supposed to eat. They didn’t forget, and they certainly heard God’s initial instruction. They saw that the thermostat (I mean fruit) was pleasing to the eye and looked yummy. Throw in some doubt proposed by Satan; Adam and Eve thought that sounded good and took a bite. They decided to question the consequences for the sake of temporary pleasure. But what is most interesting to me is not what they did - - but the consequence. They were put on a permanent time-out…as was all of mankind.

Just like when Sam was reaching for the thermostat, I’m sure his internal sin nature (with a message like Satan’s to Eve) was telling him that I would certainly not punish him. I may not always follow through, but God does. He gave us what our sinful condition deserves, which is eternal separation from Him. Fortunately, the story doesn’t stop there.

He is the Good Father full of grace and mercy. He sent His only son. His ONLY SON… let that sink in. He sent His only son to die a physical death on the cross in our place, so that we will not experience spiritual death and eternal separation in the lake of fire. I am forever grateful that I do not have to have eternal separation from God.  Even though I reach to touch the thermostat at times, God’s finished work on the cross is full of grace and mercy for me.

GOING DEEPER:
1.    In what ways are you tempted to touch the theoretical thermostat in your life?
2.    How can you reflect God’s mercy toward you today?

FURTHER READING:

Stephanie is a mom of three young sons and wife to Dave, who is currently in seminary preparing for chaplaincy in the US Army. In her spare time, she’s employed at a law firm.