Wednesday, April 25, 2018


Faithful Servant
By Karen D’Amore

His Lord said to him, “Well done, good and faithful servant…”

On February 21, 2018, news and social media venues flooded the airways with headlines announcing the death of evangelist Billy Graham. In a recent interview with the Gaston Gazette,  Billy had pre-approved his final “My Answer” column for publication after his passing. In that interview, when asked how he wanted to be remembered, he responded:

“I hope I will be remembered as someone who was faithful - - faithful to God, faithful to the gospel of Jesus Christ and faithful to the calling God gave me, not only as an evangelist…but as a husband, a father and friend.” [1]

After leaving this Earth for his new heavenly home, Billy’s legacy continues to reverberate throughout the nation…and quite possibly the entire world. It is evident by the outpouring of testimonials from the multitudes he touched. Remembered as one of the most inspirational spiritual leaders in the 20th century, both his reputation and his message have always deeply affected me. And in company with the millions he touched, I too was profoundly impacted by the news of his death.

In 1934, Billy Graham’s father allowed a group of Charlotte businessmen to use a portion of the family’s dairy farm to gather for a day of prayer. Those men prayed that, out of Charlotte, the Lord would raise up someone to preach the gospel to the ends of the earth. Proclaiming that he was chosen by God to be an evangelist, Billy responded by telling God, “I’ll be what you want me to be and do what you want me to do.” [2]

Billy spent seven decades preaching the Good News, traveling to 185 countries and reaching over 200 million people worldwide. His greatest accomplishment was the millions of people who responded to his message of the cross and accepted Christ. His impact on the world cannot be measured!

A biblical definition of servant is “…one who is distinguished as obedient and faithful to God.” [3] True servants are committed, trustworthy, dependable, promisekeepers, task finishers, responsibility-fulfillers…and faithful to their ministry. Billy Graham embodied the attributes of a faithful servant. He was called by God to preach the gospel and he never tired or retired from living that call!

Now, I picture Billy shouting from heaven, “Make a decision for Christ!”

And he is accompanied by a heavenly choir singing, “Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me…O Lamb of God, I come…I come.”

“Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life” (Revelation 2:10)!

GOING DEEPER:
  1. How are you living faithfully to God’s call?


Married to Dan, Karen, a retired police officer, currently works as a Manicurist at Craig Berns Salon and as an instructor in the Cosmetology Department at WCTC. Karen also serves on the Welcoming Team at Oakwood.