Thursday, August 8, 2019



Don’t Listen to the Voices!
By Susan Klein

“Two blind men were sitting by the roadside, and when they heard that Jesus was going by, they shouted, ‘Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!’ The crowd rebuked them and told them to be quiet, but they shouted all the louder…”


Have you ever been wrongfully rebuked? Many years ago, I told a young couple that I was praying for them. They had gotten married under difficult circumstances, and rough roads were ahead. The wife (not a Christ-follower) told me that she “didn’t need my prayers,” and that I should immediately stop! I felt rebuked. Hurt even. Why was she threatened by my prayer? I was only trying to be an encouragement and help. She would not speak to me afterward, and did not want her husband to have any contact with me either.

At first, I felt wounded by her words, not knowing how to respond. Eventually, my hurt turned to anger, making me not even want to pray for her anymore. But God softened my heart. He showed me that her actions were evidence that she REALLY needed prayer! I chose to ignore her rebuke and continued to pray, unbeknownst to them.

How often do we give up on our petitions to God? Maybe it’s not even due to the hurtful words of others, but because of the enemy’s voice in our heads telling us that we’re not deserving of God’s help, or that He’s tarried so long that He’s not going to answer us anyway. Have you been there? Have you heard the taunting voice that tells you to give up? Or the one that says, “you’re not worthy of His time?”

Don’t listen to the voices! The blind men in the story above were wrongfully rebuked, and could have sat silently as Jesus passed by, thinking themselves unworthy. But they didn’t. The rest of their story shows they shouted all the louder and Jesus stopped to listen. He even chose to heal them, restoring their eyesight.

The rest of my story with the young couple…he eventually became a Christ-follower and years later thanked me for my prayers.

When you feel you’ve prayed your last prayer over a seemingly hopeless situation, don’t give up! Don’t believe the voices, verbal or non-verbal, that would have you quit or fall into despair. ‘Shout all the louder’ to the Lord if you must! He IS listening, and He desires to hear from us.


GOING DEEPER:
1. What hinders you from “praying without ceasing?”
2. How might you adopt a habit of tuning out any discouraging “voices?”

FURTHER READING:

Susan is married to Mark, and co-leads an in-home small group. She serves as a mentor to younger women, and is a member of Oakwood’s Peace Team, helping people work through conflict.