Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Heart Attitude
By Peggy Kleckner

“For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”
Hebrews 4:12

I was staying after work again to work on yet another sewing project for my husband. When will he come to understand that his wife does not sew? Oh sure, I work in a place that has industrial sewing machines, but I don’t sew! The women I work with keep trying to tell me that I should learn. Part of me would like to learn, but my pride wants me to learn it when no one is looking. My perfectionism screams, “If you can’t do it right, you just shouldn’t do it!” Anyway, I was already committed to doing this “little project” for my husband. I tried to act like it was no big deal, as I plunked myself down in the chair. I tired to look like I knew what I was doing, but then the thread came out of the needle. Which way does it get re-threaded, from the left or the right? I had to interrupt one of the women from her work in order to ask. She graciously came over and did it for me. A few minutes later, I was stumped again with another snag of some sort. This time, the other woman I work with came to my rescue. I was really feeling like a charity case, until she said to me, “All you need is a little practice. We have been sewing for a long time.”

I am sure she has said this to me before, but this time my heart heard it. My husband didn’t need to see that I don’t sew…I needed to see that I could. My attitude needed a major adjustment. All of the women in my department had been generously offering help and instruction whenever I needed it, and I had remained determined to stay ignorant. What a foolish choice! Lots of things take practice and everyone, including my husband, was supportive and patient, except me. God had finally gotten my attention. I needed a heart attitude change. I needed to not only be more gracious to my husband, but also toward myself. Sewing was going to take some practice. It may never become a favorite pastime, but it certainly doesn’t need to be a dreaded chore either.

It’s amazing what edifying words can accomplish when our hearts are ready to hear.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Are there any areas in your life where you have been unwilling to receive instruction? Whose edifying words have you been refusing to hear?
2. Ask God to change the attitude of your heart.

FURTHER READING:
Ephesians 4:17-32, Philippians 2:1-11, Proverbs 16:21

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - two sons and two step-sons. She is the Co-coordinator of Oakwood’s Wednesday p.m. Bible Study.