Friday, December 26, 2008

Rescuer
By Karen D’Amore

“He rescues and He saves; He performs signs and wonders in the heavens and on earth.”
Daniel 6:27

It was a sultry summer night when his fierce green eyes first pierced through the darkness meeting mine. Wanting nothing to do with me, he bolted back into the woods. Like clockwork, each night he returned to my doorstep hoping to mooch food. “Black Cat” became his well-suited name and it was visibly clear that he was wild, not domestic. Challenged by his resistance to me, I anxiously awaited his nightly visits, hoping to someday win his favor. Greeting me through the glass door with an occasional hiss or growl, he eventually grew tolerant of my watching him dine.

Summer faded into fall and my night visitor never missed an evening meal. Winter arrived with a vengeance dropping over a foot of snow. As that snow fell relentlessly, “Black Cat” failed to visit. My fears deepened as he went missing for several stormy nights. Finally, I heard a piercing cry at the door. His limp body lay shivering on the doorstep with blood oozing from his back. Attacked by a wild predator and barely clinging to life, he fell helpless before me.

After months of intense medical treatment and an outrageous vet bill, “Black Cat” was re-named “Slate.” Instinctively, Slate knew that he had been rescued and saved from death. Responding to the love and compassion of his rescuer, his wild, independent nature transformed into a spirit of tender submission. Now, Slate follows me around like a puppy dog, clinging to me in total dependency. Through his unending affection, he seems to speak a wordless form of appreciation.

Reflecting back on my own life, I see strong parallels to my relationship with Christ. Living a wild and rebellious life, my sin separated me from Jesus. In spite of my rejection, Jesus continued to love me unconditionally. Just as I patiently waited to win favor with Slate, Jesus patiently waited to have a relationship with me.

Finally, on the brink of destruction and death I fell helplessly at the Lord’s feet. I cried out to Him and He rescued me. He saved me from my sins and ultimately, eternal death. My reckless, independent spirit was broken and tamed, transformed by His love, grace and mercy.

Like Slate, who clings to the one who saved and rescued him, I cling to my Lord…my Savior and Rescuer.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Reflect on the times Jesus has rescued you and express your gratitude to Him.
2. Who do you know that needs to be rescued from a life without the hope of heaven? What can you do to steer them to Jesus?

FURTHER READING:
2 Corinthians 3:18; Psalm 68:19; Daniel 6:20; 1 Thessalonians 1:10; 1 Corinthians2:2; Romans 5:8

Married to husband Dan, Karen manages Intrigue Salon & Spa, is the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study, and co-leads a freshman girls’ small group.