Tuesday, February 17, 2009

This World is Not Our Home
By Karen D’Amore

“In my Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would
have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.”
John 14:2
Moving to Wisconsin was God’s relocation plan…not mine! A native California beach girl, I truly had no clue what life in the Midwest would entail. Snow shovels, snow boots and windshield scrapers were all foreign objects to me. Some of my new “Wisconsinite” friends even questioned my sanity, when learning where I was from.

In the beginning, God had me on the “ease-her-in” plan! My first winter was, by Wisconsin standards, mild. My first experience driving in the snow was memorable, but tolerable. But, each winter to follow has gotten progressively worse. This difficult season has afflicted me with severe physical and personal challenges causing me to question God’s relocation plan. For the first time since relocating here, I have found myself resenting the move and wanting to leave.

In the midst of my “resentment-party,” God used a humorous “typo” to declare the party over! An email was sent out to a team of women coming to my home for a meeting. In the email, the sender accidentally listed my address as “HARDLAND” (instead of Hartland), Wisconsin. Reading the email, the “HARDLAND” typo moved me to laughter. Marveling at God’s timing and His sense of humor, His Spirit spoke to my heart. Given the opportunity, Satan will use anything (including challenging weather) to move us to question God.

Life can be hard and as Christ followers our life in this world will not be lived on “Easy Street,” “Comfort Circle” or “Blissful Boulevard.” Because we live in a fallen world, we will face hardships, calamities and suffering. We will experience earthquakes, tornadoes and even dangerous snowfall. But as believers, we can be encouraged that this world is not our home! Our citizenship is in heaven where many mansions await our arrival. And oh how I look forward to that glorious day, when I am transplanted from “HARDLAND,” to my heavenly home…where the streets will be paved with gold, and never in need of plowing!

GOING DEEPER:
1. What hardships are you facing that have you feeling discouraged? Search the Scriptures for words of hope and encouragement.

FURTHER READING:
John 16:33; Philippians 3:20

Married to husband Dan, Karen manages Intrigue Salon & Spa, is the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study, and co-leads a freshman girls’ small group.