Tuesday, February 3, 2009

You are the Aroma of Christ
By Elizabeth Cole

“But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.”
2 Corinthians 2:14-15

My daughters and I were in the Godiva chocolate store recently, and I got to talking with the store manager. I asked him if he ever smelled like chocolate. He said that after a whole day of working in the store, he was told that he did.

It makes sense. This past summer, I sat at a bonfire for a long time one weekend night, and the first thing I smelled the next morning was the aroma of my hair on my pillow…and it made me smile, because I loved those hours I’d spent at that bonfire. I was glad that I smelled like where I’d been.

Scripture says that we are the aroma of Christ. As we spend more and more time with Jesus, getting to know Him through His Word, the Bible, talking with and listening to Him through personal prayer, doing what He asks us to do, relying on His Spirit to empower us…I just wonder how much more the scent heightens.

There’s a precious verse in the New Testament book of Acts that describes the reaction of an audience that has observed and heard the apostles Peter and John: When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.

This day, He’s calling us to be with Him. To put aside the tasks and distractions of the day, sit at His feet and delight in His intimate, constant presence in our lives through His Spirit. To share time and life with Him. To talk to Him; to listen to Him.

Oh, to be known as one who has been with Jesus…who has lingered with Him, bearing His scent.

You are the aroma of Christ.

GOING DEEPER:
1. How might you be able to build intentional time alone with Jesus today…to be with Him, enjoying His intimate presence through His Spirit?
2. If someone were to ask your family members about your “spiritual aroma,” what would they say?

FURTHER READING:
Acts 4; Ephesians 1:17-19; Colossians 2:6

Elizabeth is a wife, mother to three teen-aged daughters, and Director of Women’s Ministries at Oakwood Church.