Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bad Day
By Lisa Boyer

“Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power at work within us”
Ephesians 3:20

We’ve all had them, bad days. But I knew this day was going to be bad before it even arrived.

It was one of those days that was just loaded with the weight of the world, like someone’s very life depended on what I was going to do and say and how I was going to say it. It was certainly destined for a disaster of some sort. There were simply too many things that could go wrong for the day to go right. So, I put on my “gotta do what I gotta do” face and headed into the day.

At the end of that day, someone asked me how it went. I quickly responded with “well it couldn’t have gone any worse,” and then I proceeded to share the details with her. As I reviewed each detail, I was suddenly aware of how it could have gone worse, so much worse.

I had spent a lot of time in prayer about that day, before and during it, and my expectation was that God would give me the grace to survive it. What happened was so much more than survival! God was in the little things, the details, each and every one of them. God had indeed heard my prayer and answered, beyond what I could have asked or hoped for. The reality was, as bad as that day was, it really couldn’t have turned out any better.

A few days after later, I was reading my Bible and came across John 1:16: “From the fullness of His grace we have all received one blessing after another.” That was my bad day, filled with one blessing after another. Yes, it was still difficult and I really wish I hadn’t had to experience it, but oh, the joy in recognizing that I was given one blessing after another in the midst of it!!!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Have you been disappointed that God didn’t prevent an incident in your life or rescue you from it? Is it possible that your disappointment caused you to miss the blessings He did provide during that time?
2. When you pray, what are you expecting God to do? Rescue you, help you survive, or walk with you?

FURTHER READING:
1 Peter 3:12-15b

Lisa is a wife and mother of two. She is a co-leader for a Junior High girls’ small group.