Thursday, April 22, 2010

What I Believed
By Lisa Boyer

“…. and we are taking every thought captive
to the obedience of Christ.”
2 Corinthians 10:5b

“Taking every thought captive” was a phrase I’d heard so many times and I had avoided a lot of thoughts because of that verse. But recently I’ve become more careful about EVERY thought. Just one little thought can cause so much trouble…

I’d had an uncomfortable conversation with someone…there wasn’t anything wrong with what was said and I shouldn’t have taken how she said it the way I did, but nonetheless, it resulted in a series of thoughts. The first was, “She’s just having a bad day.” But, in the end I concluded, “I bring out the worst in her.” It was obviously true because if I hadn’t…she wouldn’t have…so it was all my fault.

I developed a game plan. Because I bring out the worst in her, it would be best if I avoided contact with her. Knowing I couldn’t avoid her completely, when I did see her I would just keep it professional. She was very dear to me and I was heartbroken in having to make this decision. But I sincerely wanted what was best for her and bringing out the worst in someone is never what’s best for them. So it was settled. I would do what I had to do.

Two weeks later, when I saw her standing across the room, I took a deep breath and reviewed the plan: Avoid contact or just keep it professional. Yet something on the inside didn’t feel right. It wasn’t the sadness over the situation; something else wasn’t right. Then I heard it, a quiet voice saying, “It’s not true. You don’t bring out the worst in her.” Immediately I recognized that Voice. It was God speaking truth to my heart. The truth was simple: I don’t bring out the worst in her. In fact, there was more evidence that I bring out the best in her than evidence of anything else. As truth filled my mind, tears of thanksgiving filled my eyes.

After eliminating all evidence of tears, I approached her nervously, not sure how she remembered our last conversation. I was greeted with a heartwarming smile!

…it began as just a simple thought that I hadn’t taken captive and it could have destroyed a valuable relationship.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What thoughts have you let wander in your mind that you need to take captive? Will you do that now?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 139:23, 34; Philippians 4:8

Lisa is a wife and mother of two. She is a co-leader for a Junior High girls' small group.