Thursday, October 20, 2011

From DOG Walks to GOD Walks
By Karen D’Amore

“Very early in the morning…Jesus went off to a solitary place, where He prayed.”
Mark 1:35

My dog Chemo was inconsolable after losing his lifelong canine companion. Heeding my vet’s advice to help Chemo through his grief, I increased his daily exercise and smothered him with attention, He needed time with me to feel safe and secure.

Setting my clock for the crack of dawn, we began each day with a lengthy walk. As days faded into weeks, Chemo’s spirit gradually lifted. Seeing the value in this daily ritual, I let nothing interfere with this crucial time together. Regardless of my grogginess, the alarm never failed to eject me from my sleep. Chemo and I grew to cherish our early morning walks! With the noise of the outside world hushed in slumber, God’s permeating presence aroused my undistracted senses. His aroma oozed from the trailside wildflowers…His glory reflected in the rising sun…His voice echoed the choir of birds…His loving arms embraced me in the gentle breeze.

As Chemo sniffed his way through our morning journeys, I found myself engaged in the sweetest conversations with God. One pivotal morning I heard God whisper…“dog” spelled backwards is…“God”! Replaying that thought in my head…God’s whisper resonated with a shout. My priorities had been backwards! Though the “dog walks” were initially intended for Chemo, God redeemed that time to reveal Himself to me. He met me during those early morning walks…I could hear Him, see Him and feel Him. He turned my “DOG walks” into “GOD walks!” Just as Chemo’s time with me was crucial to his well-being…quiet time with God is crucial to my relationship with Him. Sadly, I hadn’t devoted myself to consistent, intimate time with Him. My heart broke as I recalled the countless mornings when the “snooze” button victoriously wiped out my morning God-time.

Throughout Scripture, we repeatedly see Jesus going off to solitary places to pray. He knew the importance of regularly withdrawing from the distractions and pressures of the world to focus His attention solely on God. As Christ-followers, we too must take time and retreat to quiet corners of the world, where God can appeal to our senses. We must meet with Him daily, spending undistracted time in prayer and His Word. Longing for a personal relationship with us, God delights in our drawing near to Him and focusing on Him alone. It is in these quiet, intimate moments that we will experience God in uniquely personal ways.

Start today. Make room in your schedule for daily “GOD walks”…and if you have a dog…take it along too!

GOING DEEPER:
1. How can you adjust your schedule to incorporate daily quiet time with God?
2. What can you do to help someone else spend time alone with God?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 143:8; James 4:8a

Married to Dan, Karen, a retired police officer, works as a Manicurist at Craig Berns Salon. She’s a leader for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study and a volunteer wildlife rehabilitator.