Monday, July 16, 2012

It’s Today!
By Jeannine Sawall

“This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.”
Psalm 118:24

Monday morning dawned bright as my youngest son came bounding into our bedroom with excitement and shouted, “It’s today! It’s today!” He was having a birthday party with a few school friends and had been waiting what had seemed like forever for this day to arrive. At last, the page on the calendar had turned and it was finally “today.”

As I lay in bed for a moment longer, putting off the inevitable, I had to smile at my son’s excitement simply because today had arrived. For me, it was just another Monday, with a mile- long list of things to accomplish before the party guests arrived. I did not quite share the same level of enthusiasm he did. Yet, in that same moment, the thought ran through my mind how wonderful it would be if I could greet each day (especially Mondays!) with just a fraction of the excitement my son had expressed in greeting his “day.” How differently my days might go if I began each one eagerly anticipating what it held, instead of begrudgingly running down my to-do list.


So as I climbed out of bed, I thanked the Lord for the simple lesson He had taught me through my son’s innocent joy. The Lord has made each day and gives them to us as a gift. We get to choose our attitude; to greet “today” with gladness or glum. Some mornings I may have to work harder at rejoicing than others, yet I can purposefully set my heart on gladness. What a difference it would make to greet each day with “Today is the day the Lord has made and I will be glad.”


GOING DEEPER:

1. Do you greet each day with an attitude of gladness? If not, ask the Lord to give you His gladness.

FURTHER READING:

Philippians 4:4; Psalm 4:6-7; Psalm 68:3; Ecclesiastes 3:12

Jeannine is a wife and active mother of four boys. She works in property management and is a part of the Special Events team for Oakwood’s We Women ministries.