Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Organized Mess
By Lexi Ellis

“Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.”
Psalm 143:10

I recently graduated from Bethel University. Besides the sweet celebrations with family, I had to move out of my apartment and back home. I needed to unpack quickly and would be re-packing for my move to our new apartment after our wedding. To prepare for all some unpacking and re-packing this summer, I spent a lot of time organizing everything before I graduated. I didn't just label boxes. I had different-sized ziplock bags- - each labeled, in piles and by categories. Everything had a specific place. And yet, as it sat in my bedroom after moving home, I thought, "What a mess." Despite all the labeled and organized bags and boxes, my floor was still covered. Despite my best efforts, it was still a mess….however organized I tried to make it.

Sometimes, I feel like life has a way of reflecting my organized mess. I label, I categorize, I try to make sense of what is going on and yet...the mess is still a mess. I think of the "mess" in my life I've tried to organize on my own - - a conflict, a busyness, a particular struggle. But the reality is that I can't do it on my own. My labeled ziplocks and organized boxes don't get rid of it; my attempt doesn't get rid of it. The fact is that the mess is still there and the floor is covered. Try as I may, I need someone to address the mess. I need a Savior - - One who is my comfort, my strength, my Reconciler. It's a choice I make to depend on Him. It's a decision to fully surrender my labeled ziplocks - - my solutions, my way and my control. It's allowing Christ to be more than just in my life, but the Lord and Ruler of my days.

Thankfully, He gives us Himself through His Spirit to guide us when we choose to follow Him. My daily choice is to surrender my control to His calling; to hand over the Sharpies and ziplocks and follow His direction for dealing with the mess through prayer, spending time in His Word, listening to His Spirit and contributing within a community of believers.

Our challenge: What will we choose today? Regardless, my organized mess was still...a mess. The boxes are unpacked now, but I am thankful for the reminder to make the choice to surrender my solutions, my control, my way and to submit to the Lord of my life.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Identify what mess you are having a hard time "surrendering" to the Lord.
2. Before the day gets busy, take time to make the choice to give it to Him.

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 143

Lexi just graduated from Bethel University as an Elementary Education major and has recently returned from her honeymoon with her husband, Andrew. She serves with Children’s Ministries at Oakwood and a fourth grade teacher at Lake Country Christian Academy.