Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Different Perspective
By Susan Klein

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.
Isaiah 55:8

Floating in a hot air balloon at 2500 ft. up gives one a different perspective of the earth below. Everything looks so small and close together. In fact, at one point on my recent voyage, I could see the Milwaukee skyline to my left and Madison’s to my right. How close they appeared!

Our perspective really is relative to our circumstances. For instance, a person growing up in a war-torn third world country has a totally different perspective of everyday life than someone living in North America. Or, the first day of college for a freshman is seen from a much different perspective than that of a senior. Though our perspective can change as our circumstances change, or when seen through another’s eyes, God’s perspective never changes. He sees the whole picture all the time. Scripture tells us He has no beginning and no end; He sees all, hears all, and knows all, and He never changes. We have such limited knowledge, vision, and experience that we can’t possibly see things from His omniscient perspective. Let me share an example.

I exited the fitness center the other day to find my car dead in the parking lot. My perspective was that I’d be burdened with an inconvenience that would mess up my schedule for the rest of the day, and possibly even the week, since I didn’t know what was wrong with the car. While I waited for the AAA serviceman to arrive, my perspective got even worse. I believe God saw it another way. I believe His perspective might have been something like this: I am going to slightly inconvenience this child of mine today to accomplish a greater purpose. Her car battery will die in this very parking lot so that the man I send to jump start her car will refer her to the auto body shop down the street. When she arrives, she will find a hard-working but under-appreciated older gentleman who will install a new battery. I want him to experience a bit of my love today so she will engage Him in pleasant conversation while he works. It will eventually lead to her speaking about Me. I know this, because I have ordained it.

God may not equip us with His perfect perspective, but He can alter ours when we focus on Him. It is when we completely and utterly trust Him to work in, and through, and around us that He allows us to see glimpses of His divine perspective.

The choice is ours: see things through our circumstances, or exercise our faith and trust God to show us a different perspective.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What practical steps can you take to try to see things through God’s eyes?
2. Will you trust Him even when you can’t see His perspective?

FURTHER READING:

Susan is a We Women Bible Study Coordinator and one of its teachers. She and her husband Mark enjoy tutoring and working with inner-city youth.