Wednesday, January 15, 2014

It’s Not Time Yet
By Lexi Ellis

O Sovereign LORD, you are God! Your words are trustworthy, and you have promised these good things to your servant.”
 2 Samuel 7:28 (NIV)

My husband and I recently became the parents of an adorable German Shorthair puppy. Because he still has his milk or “baby” teeth, we need to soften Calvin’s food. We add water and put it in the microwave so it’s easier for him to eat. Calvin was quick to associate the sound of the microwave with being fed. Unbeknownst to him, the microwave is not exclusively used for his meals! Often, he will bolt into the kitchen when he hears the microwave. He’ll sit - - staring at you with those perfected “puppy eyes”/begging look. After that doesn’t work, he runs to you, over to his empty food bowls and back to the container we keep his food. One time, Calvin even jumped on top of the food container when we didn’t get the picture.

I can almost hear him saying, “Mom, Mom, I see my container of food and I hear the microwave. It’s time to feed me.” Every time this happens, I always respond to him the same way. “It’s not time yet. It’s not time yet. I know what’s best and I promise I know what I’m doing.”

A couple times God has responded that way to me. I am so convinced I know the best outcome, the best solution. I tell God, “I hear this; I see this opportunity. It’s time!” And God responds, “It’s not time yet.” I see my way and my solution right there - - that container of food and that DING on the microwave - - it seems so clear! It makes so much sense! And yet God’s response is “I know what’s best and I promise I know what I’m doing.”

At the end of day, the question becomes: Am I willing to trust that God’s way is best? That despite how clear it is to me, my perspective is limited and His is not. Whatever the circumstance, we’re often quick to search for an easy, yet ideal, solution for ourselves or for others. Let us remember to turn to Him in faith even when we think we know a better solution.

While Calvin is still convinced any time the microwave dings it’s meal time, I am thankful for the reminder that I need to know God’s Plan is best even when it’s not my way.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Is there a situation in your life or in the life of someone you love where God’s solution isn’t your ideal outcome?
2. What do you need to do to surrender in faith and trust His timing, His way and His guidance?

FURTHER READING:

Lexi is married to Andrew, serves with Oakwood’s Children’s Ministries, teaches at Lake Country Christian Academy and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.