Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Transformer
By Vernette Kureck

“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God‘s will is - - His good, pleasing and perfect will.”

Was I going to be conformed or transformed? That was the question I was asking myself as I prepared to be baptized back in 1977. Baptism by immersion is a picture of the old life being buried under the water and rising up in new life with Christ. I had selected the above verse as a life verse since it was one I could use to gauge how I was doing in the Christian walk. I also loved the word “transformed”… this was the era of the new Transformer toys and our sons really enjoyed converting the many moving parts of some sort of vehicle into a disguised warrior. They quickly found out that if they didn’t follow the directions to move the parts, there could be breakage or malfunction.

Thankfully, I was not left alone in my transformation. Jesus gives us the Spirit of Truth, and He guides us in all things, as He tells us in John 16:13-15. The more I poured the Bible into my mind and responded to His counsel, the closer I was to His good and perfect will. The more I adhered to God’s way and followed His direction, instead of following my way or the world’s way, the more encouraged I became that I was pleasing Him. And as I tested God’s will in Christian service, I realized more and more that He was strengthening me, and He continues to do so. The renewal process began.

Paul’s charge to Timothy is: “Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses” (1 Timothy 6:12). The daily battle is who to listen to…the world or the Word. To malfunction or to follow His guidance. For me, the old life is dead, so the choice is clear. I prayerfully commit to do His will, and ask for forgiveness when I do malfunction. (That is another whole devotional!) As believers in God, we are being converted and transformed into spiritual warriors. In order to be effective in the battle, we need to follow the Master Transformer and allow Him to do His work in us.

With His love and guidance, the battle will be won…and we will no longer be disguised. We will be renewed. We will be transformed. Approved, and pleasing to God.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What sources and resources are you using to renew your mind?
2. Is the world or the Holy Spirit counseling you?

FURTHER READING:

Vernette and her husband Ken have been married over 45 years and have 2 sons. They have been blessed with eight grandchildren.