Wednesday, February 1, 2017

A Mix of “Mattering”
By Lexi Cole Ellis

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!”
2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)

A couple months ago, I was driving, listening to a local Christian radio station. As the song ended, the radio host jubilantly proclaimed, “Isn’t it nice that yesterday doesn’t matter? Yesterday…does…not …matter.” [1]

I see his point. There’s something biblical about this idea of a fresh start.  Acts 3:19 tells us to “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord.”  God’s Word says that when we accept God’s free gift of salvation, we are given eternity in heaven. Scripture says that nothing can separate us from God’s love…no matter what we’ve done. [2]

And yet, a part of me immediately questioned that statement when I heard it. Consequences still exist. How I treat the people in my life today will certainly affect my tomorrow. And Scripture talks about this idea of “…whatever one sows, that will they also reap.” [3]  The Bible also shows, over and over, that there are sometimes long-lasting consequences for sin that extend beyond the day.

So on the issue of “mattering,” where is the line? If we relish exclusively in the mentality that every day is a fresh start, we are more apt to be reckless in our relationships and our choices. If we stand firm on consequences, we miss out on the incredible grace that God has so freely lavished upon us.  Clearly, there’s a mix. There remains consequences for sin and disobedience in this world, but there is freedom that God has rescued us from eternal separation from Himself.


And while that seems obvious, I’ve recently realized that I sometimes tend to camp on one side or another, instead of living life like there’s a mix of both. Sometimes I justify my bad attitude with the “yesterday doesn’t matter” mentality. When I do that, I miss the opportunities of being Christ to a broken world. Sometimes I get legalistic, focusing on doing the right thing and hyper-aware of what I do and don’t accomplish. When I do that, I miss out on continually basking in the freedom that comes with God’s unfathomable grace.

As we continue into the New Year, I’m thankful for that reminder on the radio.  A reminder that, in my life, there needs to be a mix of both a fresh start and a beyond-today thinking.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  What “side” do you tend to focus on more in your study and thinking?
2.  What do you need to do in order to have a better mix of God’s grace with God’s consequences?

FURTHER READING:
Isaiah 43:25, Isaiah 43: 19; 2 Corinthians 12:8-9

Lexi and her husband, Andrew, have an adorable dog named Calvin. Lexi teaches sixth grade Reading and Writing. She serves with Children’s Ministries and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.

[1] July 18, 2016. Life 102.5, mid-afternoon
[2] Romans 8, NIV

[3] Galations 6:7, NIV