Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Not a “Ten”
By Susan Klein

“For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.”


“There’s a link at the bottom of your receipt for a survey. We’d love it if you could give us a perfect score of 10!” The clerk rattled off her spiel with added enthusiasm as she finished bagging my items. I was slightly put off by her presumption that I’d give her a score of “perfect.” About to leave, I inquired, “Why is it so important that you get a 10?” Her reply startled me. Apparently, at this particular place of business, the ratings the employees receive on the surveys influence their pay increase at review time. It can even be a determining factor if they keep their job. I left feeling incredulous at the thought that my comments on a survey could have such a powerful influence on this young woman’s (whom I knew nothing about) future. I chose not to take the survey.

Living in a culture that embraces achievement, it’s no wonder people feel compelled to meet, as well as expect, such high standards in their work and personal lives. However, reality can put a quick end to this ideal as even the most seemingly-perfect individual, job, family…has flaws/imperfections. Constantly striving for “perfection” is not only detrimental to our well-being, it is not God’s desire for us. Let me repeat that, “it is not God’s desire for us to strive for perfection.”

God knows how He has designed each of us. He knows our strengths and weaknesses. He has created us for His purpose, to glorify Him. He may, and often does, use our weaknesses/flaws to accomplish His will, as evidenced by many examples of imperfect people throughout Scripture. While we all ought to strive to better ourselves, we must recognize and be comfortable with our own limitations. We must also seek to know and value God’s will and expectations for us over society’s standards. Besides, His sanctifying work in our lives is really what produces fruit, not our own strivings.

I’m not a perfect “10” at anything in particular, but I am “good” at many things. I definitely don’t want the stress of having to attain perfection. The only one whose approval rating I want is my heavenly Father’s. And, since He’s already equipped me to do exactly what He wants me to do, I am confident that it’s “good enough.”

Our goal should not be “perfection,” but, “Well done, my good and faithful servant.”

GOING DEEPER:
1. By what standards do you measure personal achievement/success?
2. Can “being flawed” and being “confident” coexist in your life?

FURTHER READING:


Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood and also co-leads a small group.