Friday, May 12, 2017

The Twisted Tree
By Brita Crouse

“And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow Him. Let your roots grow down into Him, and let your lives be built on Him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.”

“Only in the Midwest…,” my classmates and I complained as we stepped outside into the unexpected April snow. It was a cold and dreary spring day and the current weather was making us all irritable. As we walked between buildings to get to class, I was suddenly stopped in my tracks by an enormous tree, standing unassumingly in the middle of a courtyard. I made this walk every week and I had never really noticed this tree before.

I lost step with my friends as I paused to look at the dozens of gnarled, twisting branches and the grooved, weathered bark. The tree didn’t have any leaves yet, so there it stood, completely uncovered, vulnerable. It had a strong, thick trunk, which must have kept it in place for many decades. Years of sunshine, rain, and fresh air grew this tree from seed to its present state. It was tall, towering over me at an intimidating height. Its unique beauty held my attention and left me standing in awe.

That tree is not unlike our relationship with Christ. I’m sure the tree analogy is nothing new; I have heard it many times. But, after seeing this old, tough, beautiful tree, the analogy was brought to life.

The seed of faith was planted early for me, but it wasn’t without constant care and support and admonishing that I was able to grow and flourish in my love for God. As my roots grew “down into Him,” I was able to build my life on Him as the foundation.

Life is not without its storms though. Just as the tree showed signs of trial, I have places in my own life where there are branches that are twisted, places where the bark has been stripped away and weathered from the blowing wind and pelting rain. Yet, there is beauty in this, as well.

If we are deeply rooted in Christ, we can experience an overflow of thankfulness because of our faith, despite any storm we may be experiencing. I know that is easier said than done. Yet because of our faith, we can boldly face any of life’s storms because all trees require water to grow and flourish!

GOING DEEPER:
1.  How is your   faith like a tree?
2.  Are you or someone you know experiencing one of life’s storms? Reflect on and discuss how this
storm can make your faith more deeply rooted.

FURTHER READING:


Brita is a licensed K-12 School Counselor and works as the Non-Public Counselor in Roseville, Minnesota. For the past eighteen years, she has called Oakwood her home church.