Tuesday, May 8, 2018


Count It All Joy?
By Susan Klein

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials”
James 1:2 (NKJV)

Yesterday was not a good day. Not only did I not have joy, I felt like I was in a pit of deep despair. Comfort was just not on the horizon, no matter what I tried. I prayed; I read Scripture; I phoned a friend… Nothing diminished the despair. Then the above verse popped into my head.

Count it all joy. This verse has always confounded me. There are just some times when one simply cannot be joyful. I weary of the guilt that plagues me for not wearing my happy face and spreading good cheer when I’m feeling surrounded by trials or grief.

Today is a better day. I am thinking more clearly. I understand that this verse is not telling us to be “happy.” Happiness is circumstantial and temporal. We can’t be happy and sad at the same time. It is also not telling us to “choose joy,” as some would believe. True joy comes from above, not from our circumstances or anything we do. It is given to us by our Lord. [1] So what exactly is this perplexing verse trying to communicate?

I did a little digging into my Greek study Bible. Here is what I discovered. As I broke apart each word for its contextual definition, then put them all back together it sounded something like this: “My brothers, lead on, moving forward, thoroughly rejoicing when you are surrounded by all kinds of adversity or provocation.”  

Okay…That sounds a little more doable. First of all, when I am despairing, I can choose to keep my focus forward - - not backward or even on my present circumstances. Secondly, I can sing a praise song or recite a Psalm. Lastly, I can ask Him to provide me with His joy…which may even result from my rejoicing in Him. [2]

To reiterate, I don’t have to “feel” joyful about my circumstances nor do I have to “choose” to behave joyfully when I’m sad. Rather, I just have to rejoice/take joy in the Lord and let Him provide me with His joy.

I’m grateful for this clearer picture of “count it all joy.” Next time I’m in a hard place, I won’t falsely don a happy face or try to convince myself to “choose” joy. Instead, I’ll sing a praise song or read back a Psalm to the Giver of joy, and let Him be the One to provide it.

GOING DEEPER:
1. How might you be struggling with happiness vs. joy?
2. What steps can you take to “count it all joy” the next time you are in a trial?

FURTHER READING:

Susan is married to Mark, and co-leads an in-home small group. She serves as a mentor to young women, and is a member of Oakwood’s Peace Team, helping people work through conflict.

[1] John 17:13
[2] Psalm 30:11-12