Friday, May 11, 2018


Valuable
By Sarah Walker

See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are.
1 John 3:1a (ESV)

God tells me in His Word that I am valuable to Him. He tells me that I am cherished. He tells me that He made me. That I am made in His image, and that I am fearfully and wonderfully made. He tells me that He has placed his Spirit inside of me. That I am a temple, a dwelling place, for the Holy Spirit. He tells me that my beauty comes from within, from where He resides and transforms. He tells me that my beauty cannot be wiped off or washed away at the end of the day. That my value is not found in what other people say or believe about me. He tells me that I am His daughter, broken and sinful. He tells me that I am His daughter, repentant and weeping. He tells me that I am His daughter, redeemed and restored.

He tells me all these things…

Yet, do I believe Him? Or do I just repeat these truths on the surface without allowing them to sink in, to penetrate, to go deep? Do I truly believe that when I confess my sins to Him and repent, that He is faithful and just to forgive and cleanse me? [1] What if I took God at His Word, and truly believed Him, and then lived my life as though everything He tells me is true? What would I do differently? What would I perceive differently?

Perhaps I would learn to value myself the way He values me, not selling myself so easily to anyone who flatters me or shows a desire to be around me. Perhaps I would risk more for Him, believing that He is all I need and that my life is hidden with Jesus in God. [2] Perhaps I would begin to view other people as having that same intrinsic value and treat them as lovingly as my Heavenly Father does. Perhaps I would stop submitting to these old chains and learn to value things the way God does.

Oh, to believe God and catch His heart for what He determines to be truly of value!

GOING DEEPER:
1.    If you truly believe that God says you are valuable, is there anything you would do differently?
2.    If you truly believe that God says other people are just as valuable, is there anything you would do differently?


Sarah is married to Scott and is a full-time mom to their two young sons. She and Scott are involved in a small group focused on prayer.

[1] 1 John 1:9
[2] Colossians 3:3