Friday, August 3, 2018


Word Problems
 By Elin Henderson

 “…for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.”

As much as I loved math in school, there was one aspect of it that made my palms sweat and my body nearly break out in hives: the dreaded “Word Problem.” Give me an equation, and I will happily solve away. But start throwing a bunch of words about trains moving one way and cars driving another, and I want to throw in the pencil! 

I don’t do math equations that often these days but for some reason these word problems keep haunting me. Only they aren’t mathematic, they are mouth-ematic!  Anyone else out there able to empathize with me? My words cause me more problems than any equation ever did. I know that this is a human problem that we all share. Otherwise, why would there be so many Scripture verses written about it? 

“Be quick to hear, slow to speak...” [1]
 “Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth…” [2]
“The tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity…” [3]

Warning after warning, exhortation after exhortation… Why? Because it’s the gateway to the heart, and the revealer of what’s really going on inside of us.

In his book The War of Words, Paul Tripp says, “The war of words is really a war of sovereignty.”  [4] In my life lately, I have been increasingly challenged to take my “word problems” seriously. Is God sovereign over this situation or not? And if so, how does that affect the words that flow out of my mouth? As my heart grows in its rest in the Sovereignty of God, my words will reflect that. My word problems emerge when I try to take the throne of control and make my view known and my way clear.

So the next time mouth-ematics throws a word problem your way, don’t throw in the towel or the pencil. But rather look to the Sovereign Head Master to help you pass the exam and bring you word victories for His glory! 

GOING DEEPER:
1.    How can resting in God bring you victory over your potential word problems?
2.    Is unrest resulting in word problems for you?            

FURTHER READING:

Oakwood’s missionaries Elin Henderson (a registered nurse) and her husband Phil serve as church planters with Ethnos 360 in Mozambique, Africa.  Elin is mother to eighteen-year-old Callie and fifteen-year-old Elias.

[4] Tripp, Paul David, War of Words, P& R Publishing, Phillipsburg, NJ; 2000.