Wednesday, December 12, 2018


Hidden Yet Valued
By Sarah Walker

…the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable.
1 Corinthians 12:22 (ESV)

Do we value the hidden roles that go largely unseen by the world around us? The Apostle Paul uses imagery of the body to highlight those roles that seem weak, less important or unseen as being necessary and honorable. Do you trust that God sees you and values you? That He values you and your assignments likewise? That He has a plan for the hidden seasons in your life?

I was recently confronted with these questions in an unexpected way. As a full-time mom, I feel hidden at times. Many of my efforts go unseen by the world around me, yet I know this is the place where God wants me at this season in my life. While in this season, I have been slowly working on a manuscript for a book that is now almost complete.  A manuscript that I am beginning to get impatient to finish. In recent weeks though, I have had to put that project on hold and intentionally move it to a place of lower priority than my main task of raising my two boys, and caring for myself and baby number three.

Some days that means I take a nap when my body is worn out rather than editing. Other days, that means I spend my down time talking with friends and family, playing piano or reading. I have discovered that in order to fulfill my current role well and to produce good fruit (rather than bad fruit like anxiety, fear, anger or exhaustion), I need to entrust my manuscript to God and instead spend my time getting the type of rest I need to complete my main task.

Perhaps you too find that your role is less visible? Sometimes we try to force ourselves into a more visible role rather than valuing the hidden role we find ourselves in. Though your role may be hidden at this time, it does not make it less valuable! God has a purpose for every member of His body, and sometimes we are asked to see the work He has given us to do from His perspective - - rather than from our own.

We all innately desire to be seen, known and acknowledged. However, the only one who can truly fill that desire of our soul is God. In this season of my life, I am learning how to value my own hidden role like God does. And in one way or another, each of us are confronted with that same choice: Will we choose to value the hidden the same way He does?

GOING DEEPER:
1.    How can you value the hidden roles God has given to you?
2.    How can you value other people to whom God has entrusted hidden assignments?


Sarah is married to Scott and is a full-time mom to their two young sons. She and Scott are involved in a small group focused on prayer and are expecting to welcome their third son in January.