Tuesday, January 8, 2019


The Wonder of His Love
By Peggy Kleckner

“Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?”

My husband and I were having a trying day attempting to clear out things from our basement. This is really emotional work: You’re sifting through the stuff of your life, wondering what to keep, what to let go…and how to do that together.

As I came up from the basement, I saw him standing still before the patio door to our backyard. Joining him, I witnessed several finches feasting on the tall sunflowers just off of our patio. So fun to watch, it was a nice break from our task. There they were, gripping the edge of the flowers, swaying with them, and picking out what they needed. I watched one pluck out petals and my husband explained that the bird was just making it easier to get at the food that he wanted. None of them cared about what the plants would look like when they were done nor about the mess they were leaving behind. They were enjoying the provision, not questioning how it got there.

What a delightful interlude it was for the two of us…just the refreshment we needed. We watched in wonder, pulled completely into the moment before us.

God reminded me of the verse above. As I witnessed the physical display of His provision for those birds, several facts came to mind. First, my friend had helped me to clear out that garden last spring. She noticed the sunflowers beginning to come up. I would have torn them out as weeds, as we had never planted sunflowers in that spot. Second, my husband had added cages around them to protect them as they grew. Those plants had grown for months in order to provide the feast of this particular day. Third, normally, we have not had finches in our backyard.

So many moments brought about this  moment. Those birds were provided for and so were my husband’s and my own spirits. We really needed the display of God’s great care and provision for them, coupled with His Word to us. This one moment orchestrated by the hand of a mighty and loving God who sees us, knows us and provides for us lifted our hearts to be held in His.


GOING DEEPER:
1.  Are you questioning His provision? Can you stretch yourself to believe while your eyes don’t yet see?
2.  Will you commit to watch for moments of wonder?

FURTHER READING:

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield.