Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Display of His Splendor
By Peggy Kleckner

“They are the shoot I have planted, the work of my hands, for the display of my splendor.”
Isaiah 60:21b

I have a flowering plant on my kitchen table. I noticed that a few of the leaves were yellowing and some of the edges were a bit dry, so I took the plant from its position of display, plucked off the dead leaves, placed it in my sink and watered it. I left it there for a bit, so the soil could soak up the water. Once it was fully refreshed, I set it back on display. When I walked by later, I noticed it looked as if it had an empty spot that I hadn’t noticed earlier. I reached over and spun it a bit and realized that it had a better side!

I wonder if I have a better side that God turns toward those I meet. He does call me to step away from the world and be refreshed by Him. Perhaps, once I am well-watered and pruned, as He sets me back on display, He turns my best side out toward the world and He keeps my empty spot facing Him. Then He continues His work in me, filling all of my empty spots.

How about you, do you have some dry edges? Perhaps your roots are in need of some watering. No wonder God’s Word is so often referred to as water…we need it for life! We must step away with Him to be refreshed. When we invite Him in and surrender ourselves to Him, He will prune away the ugly, dry areas of our lives and fill us with His nourishing grace. How wonderful to think that the Creator of everything is willing to water us, prune us and put us on display. How equally wonderful to recognize that He is the One that knows exactly what we were meant to look like and how to draw out the most blooms for the display of His splendor!

Let’s enjoy our time of being watered and pruned in His Word and presence, and then allow Him to display us for His splendor.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Have you met with Him today for watering and pruning? What specific “dry” or “empty” spots is He working on in you?
2. Are you a display of His splendor or are you tempted to take credit for His work?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 1:1-3; John 15:1-17

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - two sons and two stepsons. She is the Co-coordinator of Oakwood’s Wednesday p.m. Bible Study.