Friday, March 6, 2009

Lord, Where Are You In This?
By Susan Klein

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.”
Proverbs 3:5-6

A few years ago, my husband and I were faced with needing to make a very difficult decision. While we were certain the Lord was directing us, we struggled with obedience to this painful change. We just didn’t see how any good could possibly come of it.

That summer, I was sitting out on my patio early one morning having some quiet time before the kids arose. Usually, I relish the time when it’s just me, the early sun, and the animals at the feeders. On this particular morning, however, the burden of our situation weighed heavy on my heart. “Lord, how can this be what you want for us?” I questioned. Seeds of doubt had begun to plant themselves in my mind that we hadn’t really heard God correctly in this matter. “If only you could just give me a word or a sign to confirm this is from you. I’m trying to trust you, Lord, but I just don’t understand this!”

Diverting my attention to the scenery around me, I observed the daylilies beginning to open and the clematis flowers as large as saucers. Over by the potting table, I had transplanted some hollyhocks the year before and they were inching up quite nicely now. Then I noticed it! The plant to the left of the table had several bright pink buds, but the one on the right had only one large blossom, and it was white! As white as snow! I did a double take before getting out of my chair to go get a closer look. How could this be? The seeds I planted all came from the same pink-blossomed hollyhock in my front yard. I stood in awe at this incredible sight! And then I heard it. The still, small voice in my head saying to me, “If I can make a white flower out of this pink-blossomed plant, don’t you trust me to make the right decision in your life?”

Tears of joy fell like a soothing rain from my eyes and a river of peace overtook me! God didn’t have to speak to me in this way, but he chose to. He loved me so much that he wanted to comfort me and give me peace. The God of the universe came down to touch my little heart in my little backyard! What a personal God we are blessed with!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Are you struggling with trusting God’s decision in your life? Ask Him to speak to your heart and listen for His voice.

FURTHER READING:
John 14:27, 16:33; 2 Corinthians 1:8-10

Susan is a wife and mother of two. She leads a small group and teaches for Tuesday a.m. Bible Study.