Friday, April 24, 2009

God’s Peace
By Jen Wollner

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you…”
John 14:27a

It had been a really long day and it wasn’t even noon yet. We had been up since 3:30 a.m. traveling home from a family vacation in Florida. After a layover in Atlanta, we were thrilled to be starting our descent in Milwaukee. At only 11:30 in the morning, all of us were way beyond exhaustion. I had hoped that each of my three kids would take naps on the plane, so when I looked over at my two-year-old daughter and saw her sleeping soundly, I smiled, thanked God…and then started praying she would sleep at least until we landed! The plane was exceptionally noisy. The roar of the engine was almost deafening. The flight attendant and pilot made several booming announcements regarding our landing. And, behind us, my son was watching a train video with the volume turned way up. The “toot toot” of the whistle carried clearly over our seats, startling me every few seconds…as did his boisterous, incessant comments about everything he was watching. I was sure my daughter would be aroused by one of these disturbances, but to my amazement, she wasn’t. She rested peacefully until the plane came to a complete stop on the runway.

This is a beautiful depiction of what true, God-given peace looks like. It’s that supernatural kind of peace we feel when, well, peace is the last thing we should be experiencing. It’s a feeling that’s not dependent on our situation, but is present in spite of it. Real peace is a priceless gift in a chaotic world. As we face trials and pain, it carries us above the stress we are under…it covers us, soothes us and reassures us of God’s presence and deep love for us. Peace is free…and it’s freeing. It gives rest…and takes away fear. It eases our minds and liberates our hearts.

Philippians 4:6-7 tells us how to receive God’s peace. It says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

When everything around us is falling apart. When our world is turning upside down. When our strength is almost gone. When the voices around us are loud and disturbing…

"Peace I leave with you…"

Indescribable, unexplainable, priceless…

"My peace I give you..."

GOING DEEPER:
1. What situation are you facing today that has you stressed and restless? Present your problems to the Lord and receive His peace.
2. Who in your life is struggling to find peace? How could you encourage that person?

FURTHER READING:
Colossians 3:15; John 16:33

Jen and her husband are busily parenting three children under the age of 6. Jen heads Oakwood’s Fresh Start ministry.