Monday, April 20, 2009

Prayoritizing Your Day
By Elin Henderson

“The mind of man plans his ways, but the LORD directs his steps.”
Proverbs 16:9

Have you ever started a day with grand plans and expectations only to have it turn into complete mayhem and confusion? Sometimes I wonder if my life EVER goes as planned! I mean, my home-school morning will be going smoothly when a man shows up with a six-inch oozing gash in his leg that he has left unattended for several days, deciding that today is the day to show up and see what the missionary can do for him. You might not be facing a similar scenario at your front door, but I am sure you are familiar with interruptions and changed plans.

My sister recently sent me an idea that was revolutionary for me. It was given to her by her pastor’s wife. She calls it prayoritizing your day. One reason we are so frustrated when our plans don’t go well is that they are just that…our plans. How many times do I just plan my day without the least thought of the Lord’s input into my schedule?

When God is in control, are there accidents? Are there interruptions? No, they are all part of His sovereign plan. When we have committed our full day and schedule to Him, we can rest that He will guide and direct us, and if part of that guidance includes interruptions, we can accept that. He knows far better what we need for that day and the people He wants to use us to bless and encourage.

So, tomorrow morning when you wake up and are getting yourself organized for the day, make a list of what you want to accomplish that day. Then, take the time to commit each of those activities to the Lord, asking Him to guide and direct as He sees fit. Not only will making a list help you stay focused, but bringing it to the Lord in prayer will help you accept the changes and unexpected turns it may take. As they occur, remind yourself that this is God’s will for you today and ask Him, “What do You have to teach me in this? How do You plan to use me in this?” Then, go to Him for the wisdom and strength for this new challenge He has sent your way.

GOING DEEPER:
1. How do you normally react when your plans go awry? Will you commit to prayoritizing your daily schedule?
2. Look at the life of Christ. How did He prayoritize His days and plans?

FURTHER READING:
Proverbs 3:5-6; Jeremiah 10:23; Isaiah 45:2-3; Philippians 4:12-13; Hebrews 10:23b; 1 Peter 3:8

Oakwood’s missionaries Elin Henderson and her husband Phil serve as church planters with New Tribes in Mozambique, Africa. Elin is mother to nine-year-old Callie and six-year-old Elias.