Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Test of Betrayal
By Karen D’Amore

“If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it; if a foe were raising himself against me, I could hide from him. But it is you, my equal, my companion, my close friend, with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship as we walked with the throng at the house of God.”
Psalm 55:12-14

We were partners in ministry, confidants, and the best of friends…a friendship unlike any other in my lifetime. Esteeming her higher then any woman I had ever known, I had placed her on a pedestal of towering heights. When betrayal obliterated that esteemed friendship, my deeply wounded soul lay crushed beyond repair. My flesh hungered for justice and wrestled with God for worthy answers. My embittered spirit ached for revenge; an opportunity to back her into a corner of conviction. Remaining silent stretched me far beyond my walls of constraint; however, deep inside I knew that “giving her a piece of my mind” would never truly bring me “peace of mind.”

Betrayal was one of the most difficult, gut-wrenching tests I have ever faced. Being wounded deeply by someone I trusted dearly required Christ-like grace to forgive. Struggling to understand God’s purpose in the estranged relationship, I was still aware that He was watching for my response. It was a test! Would I seek revenge and fix things myself or would I find the grace to let Him resolve things His way? When I learned to stay “vertical” with God and avoid the trappings of working things out my way, I experienced freedom. It was no longer my problem. In such situations, we must closely examine our hearts. If our hearts are clean, we can trust that the affront is for character building. It is one way God builds the deepest level of character in His children.

A.W. Tozer wrote, “It is doubtful whether God can bless a man greatly until He has hurt him deeply.” In order to accomplish that deeper process of character refinement, God may allow thorns of conflict to prick our relationships. Loving our betrayers cannot be accomplished through our own strength. We must die to ourselves, enabling Christ to love through us. Loving those who betray us is graduate-level Christianity. Are you willing to enroll in this school? Are you willing to take the test? These tests are preparation for greater use in His Kingdom…and each time you pass this one, He sees and notes.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Are you struggling to forgive a betrayer? Extend God’s grace and experience freedom.
2. If you have been wounded by betrayal, allow God to deal with your betrayer Himself instead of seeking your own justice.

FURTHER READING:
Hebrews 12:15; 1 Peter 3:9; 2 Corinthians 13:5

Married to husband Dan, Karen manages Intrigue Salon & Spa, is the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study, and co-leads a freshman girls’ small group.