Friday, July 10, 2009

I’m Walking on Sonshine!
By Susan Klein

“The Lord bless you and keep you, the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”
Numbers 6:24-26s

In 1985, a group called Katrina and the Waves recorded their first major pop hit called, “Walking on Sunshine.” It was a catchy tune, very upbeat, and made you feel like dancing wherever you were when you heard it. Sometimes, on a clear sunny day, I can still hear those words in my head: “I’m walking on sunshine, who-oa...and don’t it feel good!” My feet immediately start to move as I twirl about to the melody!

I don’t know about you, but I crave the sun! I feel more productive, more energized, and just basically happier when that big blazing ball of light is in the sky. If I don’t see it peeking through the shade when I wake up, I don’t even want to leave my bed! What is it about the sun that invokes such a response from us?

Some researchers believe the sun has a great influence on our moods. They’ve even coined the term, Seasonal Affective Disorder, or S.A.D. for the symptoms that many people experience of feeling excessively sad or irritable over the long, dark winter months. Though much research has been done on this phenomenon, it is still a mystery as to why we are happier when the sun is out. Let’s face it, not every day can be a sunny day. In fact, one study shows that Southeastern Wisconsin only averages 90 full sunny days per year! YIKES! So, should we really allow our moods to be dependent on the elements?

I’ve learned that even if I can’t always wake up to sunshine, I can always wake up to the Son’s shining. My Lord shines the same yesterday, today and tomorrow! His mercies are fresh every morning, and His steadfast love endures forever. He is my refuge in the storm, the light in my darkness. If I can remember to focus on His face shining upon me throughout my day, and not let the weather outside cloud my mood, I know I will find plenty to be joyful about! I won’t have to worry about what the wind blows in if I take time to sit and bask in the warmth of His glory. He’ll put a new spring in my step and give me a new song to dance to.

“I’ll be walking on Sonshine, who-oa, and it will feel good!”

GOING DEEPER:
1. If you feel more “blue” when the sun is not shining, what can you do to shift your focus from the elements outside to the shining of God’s love upon you?
2. Try putting on a joyful praise song and dance around your living room singing to the Lord!

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 4:6-8, 67:1-4, 118:27; 2 Corinthians 4:6; Ephesians 5:14b

Susan is a wife and mother of two. She is the Coordinator of Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study and one of its teachers.