Thursday, July 2, 2009

Praise You In This Storm
By Karen D’Amore

“Let the righteous rejoice in the Lord and take refuge in Him; Let all the upright in heart praise Him.”
Psalm 64:10

No forecast…no clouds…no warning…I found myself in the thrust of a personal storm. With the sudden restructuring of my business, my position would be eliminated. The news of ensuing joblessness struck like a bolt of lightning. More devastating than the hidden uncertainties of this daunting news was the insensitive manner in which the news was delivered.

The rain outside mirrored the storm in my heart. Committed to participate in a Prayer Hike, the rain became a strong deterrent. Responding to the thunderous voice of the Holy Spirit, I grabbed an umbrella and hiked with Jesus. Tears and raindrops co-mingled on my cheek as Jesus met me in every dark cloud along the path. His comforting presence calmed the storm in my heart and drew me to focus on His goodness. Driving home, the pounding rain nearly drowned out Casting Crown’s song on the radio. Turning up the volume, my heart lifted higher and higher with every word:

I was sure by now
God You would have reached down
And wiped away my tears
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say “Amen”
And it’s still raining

As the thunder rolls
I hardly hear Your whisper through the rain
I’m with you
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I’ll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I’ve cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I’ll praise You in this storm

In this life we will be plagued by clouds of adversity. Choosing an attitude of praise draws us to focus on God’s unequaled greatness in the midst of our circumstances. The dark storm still hovers over my life, with no blue sky in sight. But I have chosen to stand under God’s umbrella of protection, to be covered by His peace, showered with His love and praise Him in this storm.

“Praise can heighten your awareness that distressing circumstances are God’s blessings in disguise. Your trials rip away the flimsy fabric of your self-sufficiency. This makes room for God’s Spirit to weave into your life a true and solid confidence.” –Ruth Meyer

GOING DEEPER:
1. What personal storm are you in the midst of? What can you do to praise Him so that your focus is on the rainbow rather than the storm?
FURTHER READING:
Psalm 62:5-7; Psalm 71:14; Philippians 4:19

© 2005 Club Zoo Music (BMI). Words by Mark Hall/music by Mark Hall and Bernie Herms.

Married to husband Dan, Karen manages Intrigue Salon & Spa, is the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study, and co-leads a freshman girls’ small group.