Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Hold Tight…Tomorrow, Too
By Elizabeth Cole

“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!”
1 John 3:1a

When I was four, I would commonly spend Sunday evenings in my grandparents’ home, relishing my princess status as we had tea parties together. Precious memories are still easily bidden, including the frequent game that revolved around “Let’s pretend that I’m the mom and you’re the children…and you must do everything I tell you.” Oh my…no comment! That one worked well until just about bedtime, at which point I was kindly reminded that the game was over and I needed to be the child once more.

So it was as the child that I experienced my sweetest memory. At the end of an endearing bedtime ritual, my grandfather would take my little-girl hand, gently kiss the palm and fold my fingers over it. “Hold tight what I give you,” he’d whisper before quietly leaving the bedroom. Every time, I’d concentrate on clutching my hand tightly over my grandfather’s kiss, determined to keep it all night. And, of course, every morning it would be gone, released in slumber.

But I don’t remember ever being saddened at the loss, not once. And I suppose that it must be because I knew my grandfather so very well. It never occurred to me that there wouldn’t be plenty more kisses for the next day…and the next, as well. I knew him; I knew his generosity; and I confidently depended on his love for me.

I think about that a lot. When I wonder if I’ve reached the end of my allotment of blessings from the Father’s hand. When I find myself worrying that this time when I obey, I’ll fall alone, flat on my face. When an unbidden thought mocks me with God’s inattention.

But then I remember. We know Him. We’ve experienced His generosity over and over again, and we have depended on His unchanging love. He never leaves us; He has loved us with an everlasting love; His mercies are new every single morning.

Arise, beloved, confident this morning in the love the Father has for you. Hold out your hand.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Where are you tempted to question God’s unending love and involvement in your life today? Are you willing to look back, and to make a list of all those times He’s proven His love, awareness and presence?

FURTHER READING:
2 Thessalonians 2:16-17; John 14:7, 15:9; Psalm 36:5-10

Elizabeth is a wife, mother to three teen-aged daughters, and Director of Women’s Ministries at Oakwood Church.