Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Jesus Demoted?
By Peggy Kleckner

“‘About Jesus of Nazareth’, they replied. ‘He was a prophet, powerful in word and deed before God and all the people. The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death and they crucified him; but we had hoped that He was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place.’”
Luke 24:19b-22

This is the story of the two disciples who were traveling to Emmaus after Jesus had been crucified. Walking along, they are suddenly joined by a stranger who doesn’t seem to know about the “things” which have occurred. They proceed to fill him in, but, unfortunately, also speak of their dashed hopes and their unmet expectations.

Recently, our pastor spoke on this passage. I found it interesting that he spoke about the disciples’ expectations and also our own. He noted that although these disciples once believed that Jesus was the Messiah, they were now speaking of Him as a prophet. They had, in essence, demoted Jesus. So the question came to my heart, “When do I demote Jesus?” When my life doesn’t go as I expected, or as I had prayed, do I suddenly doubt that Jesus is my Savior and LORD? Do I have a box that Jesus should neatly fit in? Jesus is too big to fit the picture I have of Him. Am I holding on to my measly photograph thought when He wants to show up in fullness?

So many times I think I know how things should happen, as I am sure the disciples did. Crucifixion certainly didn’t fit their ideas of the next step and yet, as our pastor pointed out, all of it was predicted and necessary to fulfill prophecy and fully certify Jesus as the Messiah.

I am a follower of Jesus. He leads. Often He is not what I expect, but He is always what I need.

What a wonderful picture of grace this story is for us. Jesus comes to these disciples as a stranger, not whom they may have expected. He is interested in their thoughts and listens to them fully and then proceeds to fill them up with the truth of Scripture. Those disciples didn’t turn away from that stranger. If they had, they would have really missed out on the blessing God had planned for them. May we also be open enough to share what we know thus far, and be willing to listen and accept the truth that He sends.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you have any present expectations of God?
2. Are there any areas of your life where you are struggling with doubt? Have you asked Him to increase your faith?

FURTHER READING:
Mark 9:17-29; Proverbs 3:5-6; Matthew 8:23-27

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - two sons and two stepsons. She is the Co-coordinator of Oakwood’s Wednesday p.m. Bible Study.