Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mysterious Mercy
By Susan Klein

“What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! For He says to Moses, ‘I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.’ It does not, therefore, depend on man’s desire or effort, but on God’s mercy.”
Romans 9:14-16

I was cruising along on the freeway, going to visit a dear friend. I was in a cheerful mood, singing along to the radio, looking forward to some serious “girl time.” As I approached a break in the median, I noticed a police car positioned with its radar gun pointed in my direction. I, of course, immediately checked my speedometer to make sure I wasn’t going over the limit. To my horror, I was doing 77mph in a 65mph zone! My heart started racing and beads of sweat formed on my brow as I quickly shifted my foot to the break pedal in an effort to slow down, just a bit too late! “Okay Lord, let me have it!” I uttered. “I know I was speeding and I deserve a ticket for not paying better attention. Just bring it on!” Readying myself to pull over to the side of the road, I kept checking my rearview mirror in expectation, but...nothing. He never came after me. Why? I have no clue. His radar gun was pointed, he was ready to roll, and I certainly deserved it.

This incident reminded me of God’s great and mysterious mercy. We don’t always know the mind of our sovereign God. When we least expect it, or don’t deserve it, He shows us mercy. Other times, He lets us suffer the consequences of our actions. According to the verse above, He doesn’t necessarily administer mercy when we desire it or feel we deserve it, but when He feels compelled to. He is God, and He does as He sees fit.

Verses 22-23 go on to say, “What if God, choosing to show His wrath and make His power known, bore with great patience the objects of His wrath prepared for destruction? What if He did this to make the riches of His glory known to the objects of His mercy, whom He prepared in advance for glory...?”

Sometimes, when we are suffering consequences, it is to show us God’s long-suffering for us as He desires to restore us to a right relationship with Him. And when He shows us His mercy, He makes the riches of His glory and love known to us. It’s a win/win situation, as in either case, He desires to draw us nearer!

GOING DEEPER:
1. In what ways have you seen God’s mysterious mercy demonstrated in your own life?
2. How can you extend this same unexpected mercy to those around you?

FURTHER READING:
Romans 12: 1-2; Titus 3: 3-5; Luke 6:36

Susan is a wife and mother of two. She is the Coordinator of Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study and one of its teachers.