Friday, November 6, 2009

Dancing Down the Snack Aisle
By Pamela Blattner

“Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.”
1 Corinthians 12:7

On my father’s side, I come from a long line of "creatives." My grandmother was a storyteller and writer. My aunt was an artist who traveled the world and was instrumental in the beginnings of the art center in Milwaukee. My dad was an amateur inventor and visionary and had a patent before he died. My mom was a talented floral arranger.

I love my creative bloodline, but I have noticed that sometimes the craziness inherent in creative people comes at the expense of their family members' comfort. For instance, you could often see me dancing down the snack aisle at Piggly Wiggly to Muzak. I remember telling my kids, “We can't let this good music go to waste!" I've also been a special challenge to my darling hubby at times. He tends to express his creativity engaging in quality control at work. I, on the other hand, love to decorate and re-decorate on a dime. In fact, Richard never knows when he'll come home to a totally different house than the one he left that morning or if I’ll have the same hair color! To be fair, he does encourage me to stay just as God made me, and says my creative side keeps our marriage fun and interesting.

Hidden within us, we have the most powerful tools known to mankind. As we use them, through Christ’s leading and through His power, they can change the course of history, big or small. What are those tools? They are our God-given gifts! I would encourage you to embrace the Spirit of Christ and stir up the gifts He blessed you with. Each one of us should welcome the gifts that God bestowed on us and be true to the woman that He created us to be. Let’s not waste our time comparing our gifts to another’s. Jealousy is a joy robber! Instead, let’s focus on developing what the Lord has uniquely given us. We bless Him when we are free to be ourselves…and when we find the joy in giving back to Him.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What steps are you taking to stir up the gifts that you have been given? Do they need to be activated by developing, refining, enhancing or using them by serving?

FURTHER READING:
Proverbs 17:8; 2 Timothy 1:6

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and two grandchildren. She serves Oakwood through its Family Care Ministries.