Thursday, November 26, 2009

Family Traditions
By Pamela Blattner

“Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good. His love endures forever.”
Psalm 136:1

At our home, it was customary to give thanks before we ate our Thanksgiving meal. The prayer was different each year, but my dad’s Thanksgiving reading remained the same. He would stand, unfold the same piece of paper and say, “Welcome to the Martins’ (date) Thanksgiving Dinner. I want to tell you what I'm thankful for. I’m thankful for: the mess to clean up after Thanksgiving Dinner because it means I have been surrounded by friends and family; the taxes I pay because it means that I'm employed; the clothes that fit a little too snug around the middle, because it means I have enough to eat; Bernie (sitting next to him at our table), behind me in church who sings off key because it means that I can hear; the lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning, and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home; my huge heating bill because it means that we’re warm.” At this point my sister and I would look over his way to hear the annual pause and witness his teary blue eyes. “I am thankful for all of you at this table because it means that I am loved.”

God often touched my heart through the longings and expressions of my father. I wanted his Bible after he passed away because he had written all over it and stuffed many memories and thoughts inside it, including his annual Thanksgiving reading. I found this note on the back of it, written by either my grandmother or my aunt:

“Blessed Thanksgiving, Glen! Please try and remember that everything in your life that flows out of love has come to you from God. Everything in your life that is good has been initiated by God. He is everything to you, and He is enriching your family, friends and co-workers at Harnischfeger through you. His blessings are limitless; His love is endless. He has saved you, redeemed you, and justified you. All of God’s grace abounds toward you, all of Christ’s riches are made available to you and all spiritual blessings are provided for you. In Christ, you have received the treasures that can never be taken away, the hope that can never fade away and the life that will never pass away. It’s Thanksgiving, Glen, and you, who have so little, have received so much, because He has been so generous.”

This year, as we gather our family and friends around our tables for a Thanksgiving meal, let’s pass on the tradition of having thankful hearts toward God…all through the coming year.

GOING DEEPER:
1. For what spiritual blessing are you most grateful to the Lord Jesus today? Tell Him, then write a note to a loved one, passing on the tradition of thankfulness for God’s work in your life.

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 128:5, 138:2

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and two grandchildren. She serves Oakwood through its Family Care Ministries.