Thursday, November 19, 2009

For His Glory
By Dawn Weimar

“But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.”
1 Corinthians 1:27

A little girl was born, sickly from the beginning. Her parents worried, especially when the seizures started. But her parents believed in her future and sacrificed to put her through private school, ignoring a teacher’s claim that she was retarded.

The girl knew she was different, but didn’t know why. She had a hard time socially because of strong epilepsy medications. Unfortunately, her classmates knew she was different, too, and the social stigmas were hard for her to tear down. The negative voices she heard went with her wherever she went.

As a teenager, the girl was finally taken off of her medications. All of a sudden, the world through her eyes grew peripheral vision. It became noisier; colors more vivid. Now, she knew why she had struggled. She vowed things would be different and worked to develop skills that evaded her for years. She graduated at the top of her class, well-liked and voted “smartest girl.”

Unfortunately, the voices continued to tell her for years that there was something wrong with her. She was never quite good enough and lacked confidence. Until one day this young lady heard the voice of God break through. The Word of God spoke blessings and promise. Like Moses and Joseph in the Bible, she learned that she should not let her past define her future. That’s when things changed drastically!

These song lyrics remind us that we are to listen to the voice of truth, of God, rather than negative voices meant to hurt us:

Oh, what I would do to have the kind of faith it takes to climb out of this boat I’m in, onto the crashing waves. To step out of my comfort zone into the realm of the unknown where Jesus lives…and He’s holding out His hand. But the waves are calling out my name & they laugh at me. Reminding me of all the times I’ve tried before & failed. The waves they keep on telling me time & time again, you’ll never win, you’ll never win.

But The Voice of Truth tells me a different story
The Voice of Truth says, “Do not be afraid”, and
The Voice of Truth says, ”This is for My Glory”
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the Voice of Truth

I will soar with the wings of eagles when I stop & listen to the sound of Jesus singing over me! I will choose to listen and believe the Voice of Truth.
(1)

GOING DEEPER:
1. Whose voice are you listening to today…the Voice of truth or the voice of lies?

FURTHER READING:
1 Corinthians 1:18-2:16; Psalm 103; John 9:1-3

(1) © 2003, Voice of Truth, Written by Steven Curtis Chapman and Mark Hall, Performed by Casting Crowns, Published by Club Zoo Music, Inc., My Refuge Music, Peach Hill Songs, Sparrow Song and SWECS Music

Dawn is a wife and mother of three daughters, and is active in Oakwood's worship ministries. She's a pediatric nurse, currently working as VP of Business Development in Population Health Improvement.