Friday, February 26, 2010

Caregiving Is
by Pamela Blattner

“But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God.”
1 Timothy 5:4

The National Family Caregivers Association has developed this definition of caregiving: It is a multi-dimensional puzzle. For some it means providing 24-hour care for someone who can't dress, feed, go to the bathroom, or think for himself or herself. For others, caregiving is an emotional roller coaster because a diagnosed condition has not exhibited debilitating symptoms…yet.

I’ve been a caregiver for several years. My mother is in the final stages of dementia and has just recently moved to a long-term care facility. There were times a while back when I felt abandoned by God. My patience stretched way beyond what I thought I was capable of. I slept poorly each night because I was constantly on the alert for any unusual sounds or problems coming from mom’s room. As I witness the changes in her physical and mental abilities, I find myself mourning. I find myself not wanting to leave her as I see her slipping away from me.

If you are in this phase of life, too, you are not alone. Many of us struggle with the pain of aging parents. They count on us every single day to be their advocates and caretakers until they meet Jesus face-to-face. The cost and blessing of this task are both very high. This is a precious time with our parents, though. A time of reflection, forgiveness, role reversal and eternal love. Focus on the blessings and be encouraged by our verse for today! It reminds us that God is pleased with our sacrifice and obedience in caring for our loved ones.

At times when you are discouraged or just plain exhausted, don’t lose heart! Keep persevering! God is receiving glory through your act of love, gratitude and the ultimate display of honoring your father and mother.

GOING DEEPER:
1. If you find yourself in this stressful season of life, what blessings do you see coming out of these circumstances?
2. If this isn’t the trial you face right now, how can you encourage or support someone who is immersed in caregiving?

FURTHER READING:
Exodus 20:12; 1 Timothy 5:2; James 1:27; 1 John 3:16

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and two grandchildren. She serves Oakwood through its Family Care Ministries.