Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Safe in His Arms
By Karen D’Amore

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Isaiah 41:10

Holding me in his arms, my tears soaked his chest. “What can I do?” my husband asked tenderly. “Just hold me,” I responded. There was nothing he could “do” as the vortex of muddled emotions threatened to smother me. Anxiety, doubts and confusion, circled viciously from my head to my heart, from my heart to my head, back and forth, over and over again. “What if’s?” and “What about this or that?” plagued my mind for hours, interrupting my ability to sleep.

As God eradicates my comfort zones, He is moving me out of places of security and familiarity. Shuffling my routine, everything feels odd and unfamiliar. Drawing me into new uncharted territory, the road ahead is filled with blind curves. I must admit…it’s scary. I don’t like what I can’t see. Though Scripture reminds me that we live by faith, not by sight, I wrestle to find comfort in the uncertainties and the unknown.

As sleep finally invaded my emotional battle, I pleaded with the Lord, “Help me feel safe.” Morning came quicker then desired as I dressed for church in a groggy stupor. Needing to feel God’s presence, I pleaded with Him again, “Help me feel safe.” Pulling into the church parking lot, I paused as a song on the radio grabbed my heart: “You will be safe in His arms/You will be safe in His arms/’Cause the hands that hold the world are holding your heart/This is the promise He made/He will be with you always/When everything is falling apart/You will be safe in His arms.” (1)

Burying my face in my hands, I wept as God responded to my pleas, meeting me in my despair. He enveloped me in His comforting arms and dismantled my fears. And in that tender moment, as He embraced me with Himself, He made me feel safe.

As Christ-followers, we have the assurance that Jesus will never leave us or forsake us. No matter what circumstances we face or what uncertainties loom on the horizon…He is with us always. Always outstretched…always strong…always comforting and full of love. Won’t you slip into His warm embrace and rest…safe in His arms?

GOING DEEPER:
1. Are you struggling with something that threatens to consume you? What is keeping you from resting in His arms?

FURTHER READING:
Deuteronomy 31:8; Philippians 4:6; 2 Corinthians 5:7; Hebrews 13:5

(1) © 2009. Ino Records. “Safe” by Phil Wickham, featuring Bart Millard.

Married to husband Dan, Karen is the Salon Coordinator for Intrigue Salon & Spa, the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study and a volunteer at the Wildlife In Need Center.