Thursday, December 2, 2010

Directionally Challenged
By Jeannine Sawall

“This is what the LORD says - your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: ‘I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.’”
Isaiah 48:17

I am directionally challenged. It doesn’t matter how good the directions are, or whom I’m following, there is a good possibility I will get lost! One time, I was going to a friend’s home for lunch after our Bible study. I had not been there before, so to make things easier, she said I should just follow her. She gave me a few brief instructions, told me the name of the subdivision and said we would pass one entrance, but would enter the second entrance because it’s easier to get to her house from that one. It should have been no problem!

As we came up to that first entrance highlighting the name of her subdivision, she drove by it. I stopped. In my mind, I questioned her ability to get to her own house. I thought to myself, “Where is she going? She missed the turn.” I didn’t even know where her house was, yet I thought I knew the best way of getting there. How crazy is that?!?

As logic returned, I put my foot back on the gas pedal and hurried after my friend before I lost her. In that moment, God spoke quietly to my heart and pointed out how often I do the same thing with Him. He will lead me in a direction and lay out a clear path for me to follow when suddenly I put on the brakes and question His ability to get me where He’s going. “Shouldn’t we turn here? Why are we going that way? Are you sure this is the right way?” I don’t even know where the final destination is, yet I will question God on the best way to get there! But rather than leave me sitting behind and questioning where I am, God, in His merciful patience, slows down and waits for me to repent of my doubts and pride. He invites me to continue after Him so I can again be on the road to exactly where He wants me to be.

Going Deeper:
1. Are you directionally challenged when it comes to hearing or seeing God’s directions? Ask Him to clearly guide you. He will make Himself known to you.
2. How often do you question the direction God is taking you? Ask Him to forgive you of your doubts and pride, and look to Him to take you to exactly where He wants you to be.

For Further Reading:
Proverbs 3:5; Psalm 32:8, 48:14; Isaiah 58:11

Jeannine is a wife and active mother of four boys. She works in property management and is a part of the Special Events team for Oakwood’s We Women ministries.