Friday, May 6, 2011

For Moms!
By Pamela Blattner

“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.”
Exodus 20:12

During these past few years, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s one thing to say you love your mother, but it’s another to honor and care for her. My mom passed away a year ago. At times, I had a very difficult relationship with my mom, but then I had to remember that she was the first one to hold me and embrace me. Through a wonderful Christian counselor, I came to the conclusion that nobody’s perfect and motherhood was a huge responsibility for her. I learned to pray for her often instead of complaining. Regardless of the methods she raised me, she did the best she knew how. I never knew all of the reasons she parented in the style she did, but as her daughter in later life, I tried to make her life easier giving her whatever she needed as tenderly and sacrificially as I could. I’ve also come to the conclusion that there’s never a justifiable reason to hold feelings of resentment against your mom. When I feel angry or bitter over some of the past hurts, I remember how many times God forgave me.

I’ve almost completed Grief Share1 at Oakwood. God helped me heal through the biblical teaching and godly mentoring that was offered through it. This Mother’s Day, I’d like to encourage you to see your mother through the eyes of Jesus. Whether she lives close to you, or not, celebrate her life by how you live your life from this day on. If any of you are GRANDmothers like I am, just think of yourself as a Mother in your prime this Mother’s Day! We can sit quietly in our favorite place in our homes, until we again hear the phone ringing, or a knock on the back door. Once again, we envision those little faces smiling, and those little feet running over to reach up and give us another wonderful hug and a big kiss! Today, I pray for mothers everywhere. I ask that the Lord bless you for doing your best to make a home for your kids where they feel safe and where they feel a sense of belonging. May He bless you mightily, strengthen you and soothe you as He wraps you in His endless love.

GOING DEEPER:
1. I’d like to dedicate this Mother’s Day to all women who desire to live a godly life and who want to pass God's principles on to their children. If that comment prompts you to think of any woman right now, can you tell her how much she means to you, and why?
2. Consider and thank God for His extravagant forgiveness in your life.

FURTHER READING: Ephesians 6:1-3; Proverbs 22:6; Proverbs 23:25

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and three grandchildren. She serves Oakwood through its Family Care Ministry and Touched Twice Ministry.

1 If you are dealing with grief issues and would like more information about Grief Share, please call Oakwood at 262.367.1212. The national website is www.griefshare.org