Friday, March 23, 2012

FRESH START READERS: We are delighted to share with you a two-week series of devotionals that are the follow-up to We Women’s 2012 annual conference entitled Choices: God’s Answers for Life’s Toughest Choices.


I Can Hear You Now
By Jeannine Sawall

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us -- whatever we ask -- we know that we have what we asked of Him." 
1 John 5:14-15

Recently, I spent a few days in the upper peninsula of Michigan. It was a great place to escape, with beautiful snow-covered landscapes and quiet days in the cottage. I had planned a reflective time to finish a couple writing projects I was working on. In the middle of one of the projects, I realized I needed the internet and we do not have internet access at the cottage. No problem…I have a smart phone. However, being as rural as we were, I was not getting a strong enough signal. My wireless devices left me without the ability to communicate. 

As I sat there grumbling, growing more frustrated by the failure of my technology and watching my productive day go down the drain, I heard the Lord whisper to me, “I can hear you now.” What? “I can hear you now,” He said again. I smiled as He reminded me His prayer line is always available. I bowed my head, thanked Him that His service always has a strong signal, and told Him my needs. A short time later, the neighbor came home and, after hearing my technology issues, graciously offered me their internet I.D. and password to use anytime we came up to the cottage. I was back in business.

Most of us depend on technology every day. We google information, share our joys and heartaches on Facebook and wouldn’t think of leaving the house without our cell phone. However, each of these communication technologies can fail us at times. How blessed we are to have the Lord available at anytime and anywhere. He always has a strong signal, He never drops a call, and His wi-fi is never password-protected! While technology is a great thing, having the Lord available at all times is an even greater thing. Instead of choosing to search the internet or dial up a friend when faced with trouble or joy, we can make the choice to reach out and up to our Lord. He is waiting to hear from us, He has answers, and He can hear us now…and forever.

GOING DEEPER:
1. When faced with trouble or joy, who do you choose to share it with first: the Lord or others?
2. How much time do you spend with Jesus compared to Facebook or other technology?


Jeannine is a wife and mother of four active boys. She works in property management and is a part of the Special Events team for Oakwood’s We Women ministries.